Recognizing the difference between the hobby/obsession of GAS and the art of music

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Just lifted the title to this thread from a quote by a member here. It got me thinking like this...

Just as a reality check, where do YOU draw the line between the hobby/obsession of GAS and the art of music?

For me, I have a clear distinction between time spent "playing my amp" and time spent composing and playing songs.

Writing a song makes me feel like I have something to say. Without this piece, obsessing about gear is totally unsatisfying on every level. Am I missing something here? Is this the Elephant in the Room?
    Discuss.

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm with you on this. I write also and if anything, when a song is developing, I'll hear how different guitars, amps and effects would be good for the tune. If I can get close with what I have thats fine with me. If not, I make it work anyhow and what i've done becomes what was called for...if that makes any sense!

I agree just going for tones with no purpose is kinda pointless. But everyone has a different goal so it's all good. There are a lot of far worse hobbies to have!

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

They are nearly two separate things for me, that happen to converge on the making of music.

I love great tones and I love great pedals, guitars, amps, etc.

So I do sorta "collect" pedals, but I'm really collecting TONES.

I have over 30 gain pedals, and really NONE of them sound the same; at least not to my ears.

Now the beauty is that all that tone goes into the playing and creation of music.
    I was just sitting down with my DMM and the tone I get from it can inspire me to write music. I say, "oh, yeah, I'm gettin that kinda thing, well, how about if I just try this little lick here in C... oh, ok, yeah that sounds great. Now lemme noodle around in C a little bit and... oh, yeah that sounds beautiful and it kinda fits like this and if I land on the 6th here I can accentuate an A minor chord there and, damn that sounds good...". And so on.
    The same is definitely true of overdrives, vibes, phasers, even compressors.

Great tones can inspire me to write in different ways, and sometimes just the sound of my guitar straight into the amp inspires me.

And then I get a new pedal and plug it in, and start doing some other things that maybe sounded flat straight into the amp, but all the sudden seem to have their magic unlocked running through that vintage flanger I picked up.

Know what I mean?

4. zachman

zachman Senior Member

My thoughts on the matter are framed with the reference of "What part is one fulfilling", and keeping that focus-- when planning one's rig/rigs...

From a songwriter's perspective, I agree with you, BUT... that isn't where all roads lead/end for one who may make playing their guitar their source for making a living.

Some players are club musicians

Some players are Session players

Some players are hired gun sideman players

Some players encompass several of these rolls at different times, so it depends.

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Great comments here. As the gear exists to make music, if you stop making music with it long enough, you'll probably get unfulfilled.

I spend most of my time doing music, and a lesser amount buying gear. That is until I just have one piece that I'm looking for to improve my tone, and someone posts it in the emporium, and I send a pm but I'm like, 3 minutes too late. Than the obsession is on again for about a week, I don't pick up my guitar, play a gig and wonder where in the world my hands went, and then open threads like this to remind myself why I love music (and the subsequent gear) in the first place. :D

6. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Tone = inspiration to write

Inspiration to write = additional ideas about tones

Additional ideas about tones = Creativity with recording and G.A.S.

Creativity with recording and G.A.S. = MORE G.A.S.

More G.A.S. = More focus on writing to justify G.A.S.

Justifications for G.A.S. = Stay married

That is how it works for me

7. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

+1.
    different sounds, tones, and textures inspire me to play... i find that if i don't give into GAS and experience different sounds, i get bored with creating.
    for me, the hobby/obsession is a part of the art.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

great topic.

i had an absolutely insane case of GAS last year. seriously. I did come out on the other end with some really nice gear, a broader understanding of what gear works for me and what doesn't and gave me a sense of what other sorts of gear I should be looking at in the future and what to avoid.

It was a good experience, but an expensive and somewhat superficial one for sure. But at the end of it came a realization that if you're thinking about your gear more than thinking about what to do with your gear, you're no longer in musical territory. You're in collector territory and its a very different thing.

I'm a musician with a touch of collector on the side. I guess I'll just have to learn to walk that line and keep things in perspective :AOK

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Totally opposite for me. Guitar tones have little to do with the creation of a song until it's time to build and track the guitar parts. Thats when I start hearing what the song is calling for, and G.A.S for certain tones appear. At that point, I either have them, can get them or have to alter the ideas. I can honestly say I don't think i've ever wrote a song based around a guitar tone.

10. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

And that is the beauty of the art of writing.....everyone has a different approach. This is a great thread!

11. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

Yes, I had an echo, some dirt, some modulation, some more echo, it was feeding back on certain notes... I set up a mic, started recording, and a song was born all due to a few booteek pedals and a couple bong hits.

Then I sober up and realize I need to go out and buy more pedals after logging onto this site and reading every review.

12. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

My lines are blurred. I have waaay more pedals than I really need, but it's a kick to pull one out that hasn't been played for awhile and get that renewed "new pedal" thing all over again. Great tone colors and loads of fun. Kind of a distraction from playing though, sometimes.

13. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

See...now we are getting somewhere....sharing the secrets of good songwriting!! I have to try smoking pot....never tried it before.....but for a good song, it may finally be time!

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

best post ever.....:D

15. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I do not recommend the green stuff unless it is legal for you with a Dr's referral. However, a nifty booteek pedal can easily make you more inspired than the green stuff to write a tune.

I think the most inspiring piece of gear that I bought is the Adrenalinn II. I don't use it live, on my pedalboard or into an amp, I use it as a jamming tool in my family room. Combined with the drum beats, it is just sickeningly fun to play. And the FUZZ amp model is killer. There are a few patches that I have written riffs solely because of the Adrennalinn. I consider it a pro-level POD and a great music writing and practicing tool.

GAS goes hand and hand with creativity and music- you need to keep things fresh in order to stay motivated. One or two new pedals could be the impetus for a new song!

16. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

This is the wrong forum for this question it appears.

17. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

There is no line. There is simply the craft, nothing more. It is instantiated in numerous ways- writing songs, buying gear, hunting for the perfect tone... At the end of the day, there is no distinction between the gear head, the tone junky, and the songwriter; they are all expressing their love of music.

18. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

When it comes to GAS, sure I have it! But it's not all bad, the reason being the more sounds and tones you accumulate the more of an idea you have about your own tastes. You'll move certain pedals on and keep others. It doesn't matter if they are boutique or good ol Boss, if it sounds good to you, it is good.
    I've found that when I start a new band we generally go to the pub and chat about influences and where exactly we are aiming for in our sound. After this I tend to look at my pedal collection and extract what I think will work best from the conversation earlier. My last band saw me use just a Boss Tuner, Rat II and a MXR Phase 90, it's all I needed.

19. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Tweedbucket?

20. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I googled Tweedbucket, and UrbanDictionary.com led me to the Harmony Central Amp Forum. I have never been there before, but from the description, Tweedbucket seems be quite a character.