recomend a Les Paul please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CJW, Jan 20, 2006.

1. CJW

CJW Member

My friend is looking to buy a Les Paul. He has a Studio model right now and a beat up, broken headstock, no frets left, probably mid 80's Custom that he just picked and he does not like either of them and is looking to sell.
    He says he is going to just go out and buy a new Classic model, but what can he get that is decent in the used market for around $1200 to $1400 that would be comparable or better than a Classic?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

For $1200 to $1400 used classic is probably about his only option in a Les Pauls. He may find a Standard for that, but it probably won't be really clean.

3. rooster

rooster Member

He can buy a brand new Heritage H150CM from Jay Wolfe at wolfe guitars for that price. Why buy a Gibson?

rooster.

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

all I'd say is he better try em play em check em this way he'll know he gets the best one.

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Do you really want to start that? He asked to recommend a Les Paul.

I disagree that you can't find a decent Standard for $1400. I just sold mine on EBAY for $1400 exactly and it was in excellent shape. Sure, it had been played but not that much. I would recommend a Standard over the Classic just for the reason that I have always thought the Classic necks were a bit "squirrel-ly". If he's used to a mid 80's Studio, he's definitely going to think the Classic's neck is small. Look for an '01-'02 Standard with minimal wear and the 50's neck carve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Fat-50s-Neck-GREAT-PRICE_W0QQitemZ7380929847QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Sometimes used Historic '57s show up for around $1600 - $1800. See if he can spend the extra $ and is willing to wait.

7. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

Agree with JPage, I have an '01 that I bought about 6 months back and it is flawless with no signs of wear and got it for under 1400. Classics are nice and all, but a standard has a better feel to the neck.

8. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

For that kind of money you can get two Japanese Les Paul Replica's. Take a look at : Orville, Tokai, Burny, Greco, Edwards and Epiphone Japan.

Just my two cents worth. :AOK

9. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

I paid 1600.00 for a Standard recently. It was a 2001 with a really nice "flamey" dark sunburst for the money. I was checking R7 Goldtops at the time around the country at the usual places and the best I could do was 2099.00 for a new one. The Classics I played were ok, but the neck on the Standard is much better for a chaquita fingered ape like me! I am still gassing for an R7 but confidence is high on the female unit's radar so I best lay low for a few months.

Heritage guitars are great. I have never owned one, but have played a few and they were all good. I am really not sure why I have never bought one, particularly their take on the 335.

10. CJW

CJW Member

Thanks for the replies. I used to work for a place and we got a couple of Classics in and I was kinda physched because I could have gotten one new for about $900. That is until it came in. If someone covered up the headstock, you'd swear you were playing an Epiphone. The workmanship was poor to put it mildly on these. On the other hand, a "peacock" model came in and was absolutely gorgeous and flawless to boot. It also played excellent. Of course the list on it was somewhere in the $5K range. No thanks.
    I told him to wait on the Classic due to the experiences I've had with these two, but I wasn't sure if it was just these two or the quality of all the Classics were a step down from the others. This was also a few years back when the quality control issues at Gibson were really outta hand at the time so I wasn't sure if they have gotten better with these or not. I'll tell him to be on the lookout for a Standard or better. Thanks.

11. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I understand he may have a Studio he already doesn't like, but if you can, persuade him to keep that option open. In the 92-97 era, I believe, they're quite a value, even if you have to upgrade them.
    Just bring this up because price seems to be such an issue. I got a '97 with ebony board for $700, and though it's not quite there with my R7 or Custom, it's a great LP guitar.

12. bailnout

bailnout Member

I may be wrong about this but I recall reading somewhere else on this site that the early Classics, maybe the first 2 or 3 years, were of much better quality than the new ones. Do some research on that because I don't think the cost is any different on the used market. Your friend might be able to get a good one for about $1200.

I know you specified "Les Paul" but if your friend isn't dead set on the Gibson brand name, I would give a +1 on the Heritage H150. If he goes that route I would recommend buying on the used market though. That way if he want's to turn it back around he won't take a bath on it. I see them go on eBay for under a grand with real nice tops on them all the time. I just can't think of more bang for your buck in the single cut/fixed neck genre than a used H150. One just sold on here the other day that if I remember correctly was right in your friend's price range. It was beautiful and it even had Fralin pups in it. Ah... here it is: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121177

For a good price on a farly uniqe Gibson LP Standard there's one in the emporium right now. Here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=124954
    And another good pic: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121061&highlight=Les+Paul
    I may be bending the rules of this forum a little bit by giving you those links here, but they aren't my ads. You can do your own search to find the same stuff.

Good luck!

13. Yossi

Yossi Member

I have the Classic and personally find it very easy to play. On the other hand my Driskill was ordered with a fatter neck. I spent some money for WCR PUPs and an RS Kit on my Classic. That means that it will be here to stay. It is an excellent guitar IMO.

Yossi

14. jpage

Or you could get 1400 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers.

Either way, you still wouldn't have a Les Paul.

15. jpage

Don't get me wrong, I have had the pleasure of playing quite a few Classics that I thought sounded and played great. Just comparing them with the Studio was night and day, neck wise. To each his own.

16. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

Les Pauls are tricky. I'd love to own one, but in 2 years I couldn't find a Standard that passed muster (please note: what "feels right" to me might not for you, and vice versa). I fell in love with PRS in that 2 years, and got a McCarty Standard.

But that doesn't mean I won't find a Les Paul that's perfect for me some day.

If your friend is patient, he'll find a good one. And maybe as time passes he'll get closer to getting a new one...?

17. Lestercollector

Whatever.....

18. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Agreed. I've owned a few Gibson Les Pauls (couple of Studios, Standard, Custom) and I'm after taking a chance on an Edwards LP copy, I'm going that route in the future. I absolutely cannot justify the price for a US Gibson, when I can get a guitar with the same design of equal or in many cases, higher quality for less money.

A brand new Edwards LP Standard or Custom is $699 + $125 shipping from Japan and they freaking rock hard.

19. Lestercollector

Bravo! And the quality of the ESP Edwards are Fantastic! Good to see others looking into Japanese LP Replicas!

20. EBGB

EBGB Member

Before the "Standard Premium Plus" came the "Standard Plus". I bought one in like-new condition for $1450 from a dealer. Light weight and AAA top (which doesn't matter that much to me). It's a 2001. Hat box-type knobs. I believe these are the best Les Paul Standards that no one knows about.