Recomend me a easy to use Mutitrack recorder w/CD burner

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by trower, Sep 20, 2008.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for an easy to use Multi-Track recorder. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to recording...honestly I just don't have the patience to memorize a telephone book size manual or scroll thru tons of crap just to get a song done but I am prepaired to tackle a modest learning curve..(I know I can't get around this)
    • The MTR should have a CD burner
    • More knobs than hidden menues under a complicated muti purpose button matrix
    • A built-in Drum looper/machine would be a BIG plus but can live without.
    • 8 tracks minimum and 2 tracks at once w/phantom minimin
    • Under $800.00
    • Good sound quality of course
    • On board effects a plus
    I would love something along the line of a less complicated D3200 w/half the channels.
    ...DOES THIS EXSIST? :huh

2. trower

sheesh....anybody read this part of the forum?

3. peridot1

peridot1 Member

The closest one I can come up with is Tascam DP-02FX/CD

[​IMG]

It's got it all. CD burner, drum machine, effects, but the best part is the interface. Mostly knobs. Less hidden scroll parameters within parameters. Probably your best bet.

I've had four standalones. The yamaha aw1600 is the one I'm using now.

4. trower

Hey, life after all!....Thanks, I did do some checking on that one a bit, how easy are you finding the controls and hows the drum machine/finish quality? can you elaborate especially on the drum tracks

5. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I never used it. Just been around on the multitrack field a bit and can tell this interface is a breeze compared to most others. The Tascam so far is getting a good buzz in my small circle of musicians gossip... but you know how that goes.

Personally I think you'll be okay... but if quality is more important than ease of interface I would check out the Boss BR series to be sure. Never used it either but have seen it in action. Drum machine rules and no worries on sound quality.

The only multitracks I've used is a yamaha 4 track cassette, Fostex VFex 8 track, Tascam 2488 MKII and now my aw1600.

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Been using the Roland VS machines since 2001. Lots of knobs but also lots of layered menus, so you have options. Add the LCD screen and a keyboard and it is a really nice machine. I have the 2400 CD model, but there are simpler versions such as the 1880, 1824, etc. These are only available used and are in your price range.

7. trower

Simple is the key word here for a simpleton like me :p I've owned a few of the big one's..AW1600, D3200, D1200..They are all nice but you have to be a Jr. engineer to memorize (and retain) all the steps to make a recording....Man alive! can't somebody make a simple 8 channel unit with Knobs, a great on board Drum Machine/looper, quality effects (that's not a reach with today technology!) CD burner and Big screen and 3 band E.Q? It's the ol' Setup vs Creativity thing again. If I can't get an Idea down in a few hours, It's usually lost.

8. peridot1

peridot1 Member

That's why I stick with standalones. With computer DAWs by the time I figure out all the bells and whistles I'll forget how to play guitar.

Tascam should be okay. The 2488 I had was so easy to remember.

9. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

I have had my Zoom MRS802-CD for years. They don't make it anymore but if you can find a used one, you will be ok. I continue to use mine all the time. You can either program the actual drum tracks or use any of the man loops. You can also program the drum tracks to play as a song. All of the song programs can be downloaded to an internal cd....I think it's a decent unit.

10. trower

I hear the learning curve on these are a pain, or was it that the manual just sucks?...

11. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

I have the Yamaha AW-16G. I haven't used it since I got Pro Tools (and that was a good while ago), but it worked great.

12. drive-south

drive-south Member

I have a Tascam DP01FX/CD. It took me a little time to read the manual and figure out all the capabilities, but In my opinion, it's simple to use.
    You can get these pretty cheap now that Tascam has released the new DP02 model.

The only drawbacks are 1. no drum machine. Just a crappy metroname. 2. The EFX suck.

I considered the new DP02 but I looked into it and the EFX are pretty much the same silly nonsense as in the DP01 series.

If you ignore the EFX and use an external drum machine, the DP01 is a winner. I got mine new for $300 and within a week, I had made several good recording, both live stereo recordings as well as multi-tracked.

drive-south

13. jeak

jeak Member

Yes. The D888. It's exactly what you're looking for. I had two D3200s and had fatal problems with them, so I switched to a Yam AW1600. I really like the Yam. It's simpler than the D3200 but more complex than the D888. You might like the AW1600 too, but I think the D888 is your ticket. Just hope it doesn't suffer same problems as my D3200s.

14. trower

Well it's got a Metronome...not sure what that intails other than maybe a fixed repeating bass and/or snare or woodblock ?..
    Ahhh..I'm ready to give in and just get another D3200 and call it a day.