Recomend me a good 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnny5, Jul 3, 2006.

1. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

i am looking for a nice 2x12 cab that sounds great and that won't break the bank. i have a open back avatar but find it a bit boomy. looking for a big sound but not over the top. I guess "balanced" is the correct term.

I'm considering;
    Dr.Z Z-Best
    THD

any suggestions?

thanks

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A vote for THD here...

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

indoorstorm.com- check out their 'carolina custom cabs',
    mojotone 2x12s are awesome as well
    heard avatars closed backs are nice for the price as well

cheapo me, I bought a used marshall 1936 cab (2x12 closed back) and rpped out the pair of GT75s then loaded it with an alnico weber blue dog and a celestion G12H30 and it sounds big and awesome for the investment. Certainly not 13 ply baltic birch, probably made of cheapo plywood or pressed chip board, but nonethesless it sounds great with my Route 66. Big and deep but not boomy, and so rediculously low $$ compared to many existing cabs if purchased used. Relatively light too. Handles on corners, so portable and pretty tough for running around town. Way lighter than my old Z best (which is also nice BTW) and thus easier on the back. 2x12s now are of such good quality, the main differences I see as important are porting options, front or rear loading, material differences (durable?) and hardware differences (jacks, wiring, speaker T nut mounts). Most are baltic ply with MDF fronts and with a simple hardware upgrade make for nice cabs.

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

Tone Tubby or Two-Rock and theres nothing else.

5. fyler

fyler Member

THD -
    pros: great sounding, compact, best handle on a 2X12" ever
    cons: very soft (easy to tear) tolex, a tad on the pricey side

my opinion...buy the THD & get a tuki (or similar) cover for it if you plan on giggin with it.

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Ken's cabs for sure Johnny. He's fairly close to us too. My red 2x12 is from Ken, and it's fabulous. More than welcome to come check it out sometime.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Went through more 2X12's than I care to mention. And I do mean ALL the big names.
    Found one I really like.
    Swanson 2X12 with an oval back.
    Built quality is second to none, and it sounds fantastic!

9. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

From what everyone's recommending, you wouldn't be far off price wise from a used closed back over-sized Bogner. I thought I'd never find a 4x12 tone, in a 2x12 package but tighter sounding till I acquired this 2x12 cab. I stereoed the in's..It's unbelievably big and wide but give up the mids without sounding shallow/small, Sports 2 vintage 30's. I really don't like those small 2x12's that make your head sound like a combo amp ..

10. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

never heard of Ken's Cabs. i did a google search and came up with nothing. can you direct me to a link?

thanks for all the responses!

11. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

www.kenscabs.com

But really, you can just look at the tone tubby site. He builds em for them.

12. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

The Orange 2x12" Has always been my favorite. Huge tone. Only problem is it weighs as much as a Tank but darn they sound good.

The Dr. Z cab sounds really good though too. I also like the Budda 2x12" and it is lighter weight and very mobile.

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

It all depends on the sound you're after. "Balanced" to me might not sound "balanced" to you. If it helps, here are a few questions that may help you to refine your search a bit more.
    • What type of music do you mostly play?
    • Are you playing at stage volumes or in your living room?
    • Do you want the cab to play a part in your tone or do you want a completely transparent sound?
    • Do you want high end sparkle or do you want warmth?
    • How tight do you want the low end response to be?
    • What players have a tone that you'd like to get close to?
    • Is weight an issue for you?
    • What size limits for transportation do you have?
    • Are you planning to put an large or small amp head on top of the cab?
    • Do you have any brands that you really like or really dislike?
    You get the idea. ;)

All of the cabs mentioned already are great in their own ways, but without any idea as to what you plan to use it for it's pretty difficult to just blindly recommend a cab and speaker combo. Hopefully these questions will help you to identify the best cab for your music.

14. jbro

jbro Member

The Z-Best is the best 2x12" I've played through.

The Ken's Cabs 2x12" is right there too (also re-branded as Tone Tubby and Two Rock).

The THD is great cab too, lightweight and open.

As mentioned it really depends what you're going for as far as sound, stage volume, and projection. I have an Earcandy Buzzbomb that is very cool too, but it's pretty big and also pretty beamy. Hardly ever leaves the house for the gigs I do. Close back/ported cabs are going to project like crazy but you'll want them back pretty far if you're using them to monitor yourself. Oval ported cabs like Ken's are sort of a happy medium of projection and stage volume and might be the best choice for an un-mic'd medium-large venue gig. Open back cabs like the THD are really only good for small venue gigs IMO.. too much bleed for recording/mic'ing isolation and not enough projection to cover a bigger room. Excuse my gross generalization, but it's all from experience.

15. Roe

Roe Member

mojotone. 10% discount on online orders today

16. dzrati

dzrati Member

Okay I'm gonna catch a lot of flak from this but I just picked up a.....uh :Spank.....Peavey 2-12 cab that sounds pretty good. Haven't a clue what it is made out of but it works well with my Mazerati. Okay stop laughing.....:rotflmao

17. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I really like my Jenkins Highway 61 cab. Well built and sounds great.