Recomend me a rack multieffects unit to sub my H9 in the fx loop

Sherwood

I'm considering going back to rack gear but i want it simple. Just an ampete 222 amp/cab switching and a multi-fx that's staying on the amps' fx loop (through the ampete 222).

What i need:

- First and definitive criteria: uncolored tone (i'm currently satisfied with my H9 in that department and strive to keep my amp's tone unadultered);
- i only need tremolo with reverb, modulated delay, octave and flanger (rarely 2 effects at once);
- I use my H9 to set a volume boost for solos and i'd like to keep that function;
- i need a remote bypass jack and midi presets change;
- i want it light and 1 rack space;
- don't want to spend more than $500 because i use so little effects.. but i'd consider paying more for a unit that wont color my amps' tone.

Your recommendations?

Kronos147

An H9 is more than $500. Why would you expect a rack unit to beat that at a lower cost?

I do not believe you are going to get the answer you desired on this question.

Sherwood

Like i said, I don't want to go crazy high on $$$ once i use effects sparingly... but i did mention i'd go higher if what justified the extra cost was sound quality, in a sense that it's going to keep my amps' tone pure.

Let's say i'd go 2-3x that 500 price for the ultimate tone quality.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Ignoring the $500 budget, the Eventide Eclipse is the obvious answer. They can be had used in the $800 range, with a little patience. Most of what is available in the H9 is also available in the Eclipse. The Eclipse sounds better, and has other fun stuff not in the H9.

A slightly more in-budget choice is the Lexicon PCM-81, which can be had in the $500 range, if you're patient. This also sounds great, but I find it harder to program, or at least more tedious.

And finally, well within your budget, the Lexicon MPX-G2. Sounds good, and has a more traditional multi-effect architecture.

Sherwood

Very helpful cbm! I'll check the Eclipse out.

What about tc electronic's g-major 2 and g--force? Are they any good? I've had my setup based on a g-system 4 years ago but felt like it messed with the tone of my amps.

Ian

Doesn't the H9 convert your dry signal if used in a series loop without a mixer??

Is this a mono or stereo setup?

Cheers

Sherwood

Mono setup.

I use to experiment with different amps sometimes (we all do..!), so it'll always be mono but i'd like to have the versatility to adapt my fx-unit to a series or parallel fx-loop.

I checked the Eclipse and noticed it doesn't have a regular instrument jack, XLRs only.. Am i wrong?

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I checked the Eclipse and noticed it doesn't have a regular instrument jack, XLRs only.. Am i wrong?
Yes, you missed something. The input jacks are combo 1/4" and XLR. There are 1/4" outs as well as XLR.

Sherwood

Hmmmmm.... thanks cbm!

Three more:

1- Still nothing regarding the tc fx units. Do you guys recomend avoiding the g-major2 and g-force? Are those going to mess with my amp's tone?

2- Should i use a mixer? Which one? I'm currently using the H9 in the fx-loop of 2 Friedman amps and their fx-loops are great, no tone loss (with mogami platinum cables).

3- If i decide to put my H9s in a rack shelf, how can i by-pass them remotely?

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
1- Still nothing regarding the tc fx units. Do you guys recomend avoiding the g-major2 and g-force? Are those going to mess with my amp's tone?
I haven't used them. I've been slightly underwhelmed by the tc verbs in my Yamaha mixer, though.

2- Should i use a mixer? Which one? I'm currently using the H9 in the fx-loop of 2 Friedman amps and their fx-loops are great, no tone loss (with mogami platinum cables).
It depends on what you want. If you want simplicity, and the easy ability to go 100% wet, for things like bass emulation, or reverse guitar, then I'd skip the mixer. If you want the best fidelity for normal verbs & delays, a mixer can be a good thing. If you're happy with a simpler setup without a mixer, I'd stay that way.

3- If i decide to put my H9s in a rack shelf, how can i by-pass them remotely?
MIDI is good. You can probably use the Aux switch, as well, but I haven't tried that.

Royslead

I have a TC G Major and a G Major 2. Both are single rack units, both are MIDI programmable. I have had my rack system a few years only; and do not have experience with the other units mentioned, or any other higher end gear, as far as effects. These seem to sound good to me, but ultimately, you'll have to be the judge.

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
the Eclipse can be thought of as two advanced H9s, in many ways.

Pretty much. I view it as two and a half H9's with all the bells and whistles the H9 lacks. And no need to "purchase" new algorithms. They're already built in.
It does have a bit of a learning curve but nothing too hard. And the sound quality is superior.

+ Aes/EBU - S/Pdif - ADAT - up to 96 KHz - balanced XLR I/Os - large on board storage & unlimited cards storage - millions of algorithms combos - routings - 4 parameters on a display - KNOBs for multi control purpose - 16 realtime parameters control patches PER preset - inputs for pedals/footswitches - 20 secs delay memory - true Orville/H8000 algorithms - delays cascading techniques - reverbs cascading techniques ...
the list gets long....

Sherwood

It does have a bit of a learning curve but nothing too hard. And the sound quality is superior.

When you say "superior sound quality" you mean it will color my amp's tone even less than the H9?

I'm really favoring the most transparent fx processor because i LOVE the sound of my amps and use effects sparingly. When i do use effects it's either delay or modulation with a volume boost. The only fx combo i use is tremolo with reverb. I don't use looping nor super long delays and I like ducking delay but have found it difficult to get one that works for me.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
When you say "superior sound quality" you mean it will color my amp's tone even less than the H9?
Yeah, the Eclipse sounds better than the H9s. It's not a giant leap, but quite noticeable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom