Recommemd me a channel switcher w/fx loop that comes near my criteria

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dica3, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Dica3

Dica3 Member

Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice, i am in the market for a new amp and am trying to see what my options are

I have been playing a victoria regal II 2x12 for a few years now, really great amp but after a guitar change it is lacking in headroom a bit for my gigging needs, went from a low output strat to a 3xp90 firebird, tried all the common stuff to remedy but nothing satisfies. The amp was close to breaking up with the strat and while the p90s are also underwound they pack quite a bit more punch which pushes it over the edge a bit too much for my taste as i need both clean and od multiple times in a song and continuous guitar volume pot changes to clean up are near impossible due to the location of the pots.

I am totally sick of od pedals and looking to eliminate them from my board so running od pedals>clean amp is out

I also use quite a bit of dirt> delay/verb/ pitch shifting so running into a dirty constantly is not possible making the fx loop a must have

The last consideration is that the other two guitarists i play with use bf fender cleans as their base tone, so i would dig a different clean voicing if possible

Long story short (sorry for the ramble), i need a channel switching amp with an fx loop that has solid clean channel headroom and an aggressive cutting mid gain drive channel that is ideally 50 watts or below

Thanks for any help

2. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Not sure of your price range, but for around $650 used you could get a Marshall dsl 50 watt. If you want to go boutique, there are lots of choices. Keeping away from the Fenderish vein, a Splawn Quickrod may do the trick.

3. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

4. axelicker

axelicker Member

Laney GH50L comes to mind. Nice clean and not a Fender clone, lots of headroom, and the drive channel gain range is terrific, really cleans up with guitar volume. Loop works well.

5. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

A few others that come to mind are the Bogner Goldfinger or Bogner Shiva. Also, several Rivera models have a nice clean & gain channel in one unit.

6. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

Mesa Single Rectifier.

7. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Mesa Lone Star Classic. Very versatile imo.

8. RSRD

RSRD Member

Bogner Shiva nails what you are looking for. Highly recommended.

9. dju

dju Member

maybe a VHT Pittbull45 or 50/ST might work for you. discontinued models but you can still find them used from time to time. I saw a PB45 1x12 on guitar centers used website the other day for something like $600~650. I forget which.

dj

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I'm assuming we're looking at tube stuff only, here (otherwise I'd just point you at a modeler).

Years ago I bought a Carvin Quad-X, a rack-mount all-tube preamp. These are available on eBay fairly regularly for $300-350, about the cost of one of the very "boutique" pedals. I coupled it with a used Carvin TS-100 tube power amp (EL34s) with 50W/50W per side, stereo, or 100W bridged.

The Quad-X has four channels, each with its own EQ section. Active controls. Built-in boost for strats (and a detector that tells you when it recommends using the boost!). Noise gate. Bass cloaking. 5-band assignable graphic equalizer. A 4x12 cab emulation mode for direct to mixer outputs. Long-tailed spring reverb. NINE 12 AX7 tubes, up to eleven gain stages (depending on your channel choice). A stereo master section gives you access to stereo reverbs, chorus effects, etc.

There are SIX FX loops - one each dedicated per channel, one stereo reverb side chain loop and one stereo master in-line loop. More here: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/93-quadxamp.html

[​IMG]

11. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Definitely a Carol Ann OD2 or OD2r. You could also get an OD3 if you want three channels. Great FX loop, the cleans are more Hiwatt-ish/Marshall and it has a middy drive tone with lots of gain on tap. You can get the OD2 in 100 or 50 watts (I use the 100 watt for the headroom) and the OD2r is I think 30 watts.

12. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

13. wordfromthewise

wordfromthewise Member

I've played most everything, and have been very satisfied with the orange rockerverb. beautiful warm and full cleans that stay clean at loud levels, nice thick, warm, midrangey, meaty dirty channel that will do cleans on up to searing distortion levels and everything in between. many amps will do what you need, but very few have mojo and a great feel under your fingers. the rockerverb is one of them.

14. Keld

Keld Member

Some good suggestions here, to which I will add a Fuchs ODS, Elmwood Modena and a Mesa Mark IV (or V, but haven't tried one yet...)