Recommend 15" speaker? The money pit deepens....

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by BruceM001, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

I'm bummed out.

I recently got a quite rare bass amp, a Roland Studio Bass 100, from the late '70s. It had issues with the EQ, and I took it in and it turned out to be in much worse shape than I thought. So, I dropped $360 to get a ton of stuff fixed in the amp - the speaker was fine.

Anyhow, the repair guy loaded the amp into the vehicle for my wife, who picked it up for me while I was at work. When I got home I loaded it into the house, and was very careful.

I didnt' get a chance to try it out until today, I plugged in my bass, and the ugly sound of a busted cone greeted my eager ears. I opened it up and sure enough there's a tear in the cone. Whether he did it, I did it, or the first new note of my fretless jazz bass did it, I have no idea, and we'll probably never know. :confused:

That's my tale of woe, and it's totally irrelevant except for the sympathy I hope you all feel.

The question is, can anybody recommend a decent replacement speaker? I've never actually bought a speaker before, so would appreciate the input. I want quality, but budget is a definite consideration.

Thanks!

2. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

Sorry, I guess I should specify this is 100 watt amp, 8 ohm speaker.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I would recommend having the stock speaker re-coned. It's an economical solution that will not drastically change the sound of your amp the way a modern replacement speaker would. I'm not sure what part of the country you're from but Orange County Speaker Repair in Southern California is reputable.

www.speakerrepair.com

4. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

That's probably the best idea, I wouldn't guess it costs too much. That's what I'll check first. Appreciate the suggestion.

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Probably run you around $80.

That would totally be my suggestion.

Otherwise the 400w EV.

6. alotawatts

alotawatts Member

7. jay42

jay42 Member

How bad is the tear. I believe some can be repaired with paper and glue.

8. Robal

Robal Silver Supporting Member

Yeh, if you can repair the tear that's a lot cheaper than buying a new speaker. There threads on the net about repairing a speaker tear; it's pretty easy if you are careful. OC Speaker sells a speciality glue for this purpose that I used to repair a cone tear on a JBL with good results.

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Member

Also depends where the tear is. If it's on the paper cone, no problem. If it's on the surround holding the cone to the frame, forget it.

Copied from another forum, from a friend who just had a speaker reconed. He typed up the entire process for us to consider:

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

HA!

I used coffee filters and glue to get me through a summer festival season!!

Still sounded like ****- but at least it worked.