Recommend: 20 watt(ish) 6L6 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jeztastic, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Hi!

I am currently using a Traynor YCV20 WR (15 watt EL84s with Alnico Blue). It's great, but lacking in bottom end. In a band situation I just lose the ability to hear my bottom strings. I want to try running it in stereo with something Fendery to add the bottom end, and a bit of overall headroom.

I am worried if I go up to 40 watts my Traynor will be overpowered. I have considered a Deluxe Reverb Re-issue, but I think it's a tad overpriced, and over-featured. I only need one channel.

Suggestions?

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

40W is pretty much standard fare for a pair of 6L6s. I don't know how you can consider a DR over-featured, seems like a very simple amp to me, but if you are willing to reconsider, a DR RI + 6L6s + a rebias would get you in the area you want to be. A vintage Tremolux would bring you to 30-35 watts. A Carr Rambler would get you 28 watts pentode, 14 watts triode from a pair of cathode-biased 6L6s. Another option is a 2X6L6 amp with a good and usable master volume like a Reverend Kingsnake or Hellhound.

3. danel59

danel59 Member

Fuchs has the ODS30(SLX) that comes with 2 x6L6's or you can operate 4 x 6V6
    Probably over the budget you were looking at. Also they offer a 20 watt version with 2 x 6V6. Rivera has the Pubster 25 2 x 6V6 which sounds great and has decent low end with a 10" speaker. Single channel with boost. That might be worth looking at

Good luck with the search

Dan

4. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Well, the DR has 2 channels. The one that everyone says sounds better (normal) doesn't have a tone stack. The other has vibrato and reverb, which I don't want. So maybe it's not over featured, just all the features are wrong!

I like the nearly over-driven sound, which is why I'm after a 20 watter.

Can you tell me more about rebiasing a DR? That would give it more headroom would it?

5. Jon Silberman

>> the DR has 2 channels. The one that everyone says sounds better (normal) doesn't have a tone stack.

From now on, Jez, it's everyone -1. :)

Rebiasing a DR for 6L6s, more volume, and more headroom: http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/main/deluxemod.html

From this:

>> I like the nearly over-driven sound, which is why I'm after a 20 watter.

I predict you'd dig my Hellhound with its exceptionally usable master volume control. Where do you live?

6. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Gotcha! :)

Thanks for the link!

I predict I'd like your Hellhound too. I live in the UK. Do they do versions with a 220 volt transformer, and do they ship to the
    UK? What's the website?

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

While closer to 30 watts, the Carr Rambler is 28 watts utilizing a pair of 6L6's. If you install a pair of 6L6WGB's it takes the headroom down considerable for some extremely sweet, and smokey blues breakup. If you want max headroom, just drop in a pair of 7581A's.

It also has a triode switch which gets you down to 14 watts, in a decidedly tweedy manner! Great amp! You can find one used between $1300 and $1500. While it's pricey, you get some incredibly great tone out of this little beast!

8. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Wow. Just listening to some clips... That is sweet. Exactly the kind of thing I'm after... But way out my price range... :(

9. Jon Silberman

I asked where you lived hoping I could invite you by to hear my 'Hound but the UK a bit of trip to my area. :)

The Hellhound is discontinued so you can only buy used. I don't know about 220V transformers. More important is the concept: in my experience, most master volumes aren't very good, some are. If you can find yourself a 6L6 amp with a master volume that works, it could be your solution.

10. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

I wouldn't be too concerned with balancing out wattages, unless you push your traynor hard and want the second amp to be pushed hard as well...a 6l6 based amp will certainly give you more low end than the '84s, but you will get a cleaner tone.

One option is to add a 6v6 based amp, which will definitely provide you with some low end. Options include tophat club deluxe, DrZ Z28, etc,

11. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

That's just it - I do push the Traynor hard. I want something which will react well to have a few pedals slamming it if necessary. I want something to compliment my existing tone, not dominate it.

If I turn a 30-40 watt amp up to where the pedals are starting to cause it to compress, it will totally dominate my 15 watt Traynor!

Of course, one option is to lose the Traynor and get a Laney VC30 and a Traynor YCV40, but I don't need that kind of power!

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Here's another angle on the Traynor YCV20WR - replace the Greenback with a WeberVST 12F150, and you'll find the low end is there. That's what I did with mine.

- T

13. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

I've already swapped the Greenback for a Celestion Alnico Blue, which improved the bass no end. However, there is only so much bass you can squeeze out of a EL84 amp!

14. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

The most underated amp on the planet is the Top Hat Club Deluxe. That will go from pretty heavy Stones type grind to clean sweet tones by hitting the fat switch and adjusting the volume/Master.

But at lunch I tried the 2 6L6 Super Deluxe at GGuitars ... man-o-man, I don't even like the whole 6L6 amp thing and the Super impressed the crap out of me. 33 Class A watts, Volume and Master and Fat switches, and goes form absolutely beautiful cleans to a rich bluesy grind. Man, Top Hat has come a long way. I played a Rambler, Hammerhead, Slant 6V, Mesa LoneStar, and a few Victoria amps (40 and 20 watters), and I went back to the Super Club. It has the goods big time. Check out more info here ...

http://www.gguitars.com/tophat.html

Needless to say it was a long lunch ...:eek: :dude

15. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Sorry if I had missed that. Though I don't think the Blue has as much bass as many other speakers, what it has will be tighter than the Greenback.

Hey, I've got to differ with you on your EL84 statement. I get loads of tight bass from my Mesa 20/20. So much, in fact, that I have to dial it out so I don't interfere with the bass guitar. I'll grant that the YCV20's cathode-biased design doesn't get as much as the Mesa's fixed-bias design. But don't base your opinion on EL84s by how they're used in the YCV20 (or Voxes either) - there are other ways to use them!

I guess the bottom line is: don't rule out an amp simply because of the power tubes it runs.

- T

16. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Point taken! :)

17. avwalker

avwalker Member

An open back combo with an alnico blue isn't going to have a big low end.....a simple and more economical solution may be to add a 1X12 closed-back extension cab your amp (maybe with a g12h30).....could make a world of difference in your low end

18. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Unfortunately the Traynor doesn't have a speaker out. The new ones do though! Grrr... And I have a 2x12 with G12H30s. So that would be the perfect solution... But I don't see how I could make that work without a speaker out.