1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a 10" Speaker.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dorfmeister, May 23, 2011.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've got a 10" Freda cab and I want to get a good 10" speaker for it. The Freda is neither an open-back or a closed cab, but is ported.

http://www.fredacabs.com/1x10.cfm

[​IMG]

My plan is to run my Stephenson Stage Hog directly into it. The Stage Hog is a 1 watt amp with a choice of a Marshall or Tweed voicing. I am thinking a British voiced speaker would be best. I'd like to not go much above $100 and I know that precludes most of the alnico speakers out there, though the Weber Blue Pup Alnico is $95.

I've also been wondering about the 10" offerings from Fane and Scumback as well as some of the other Weber British voiced models - - - I think they've got one that is supposed to be close to a Fane.

What do you think of these and which other speakers would you recommend?

I'd also like to be able to use this ocassionally as an extension speaker for my Juke Coda....which is 30 watts....so it would be nice if it could handle that much power.

I formerly had a Weber Cali 10"(ceramic) in this cab and it was really boomy. Want to try to avoid that this time around.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. vanguard

vanguard Member

pick up a used celestion g10 gold. will still be a bit over $100, but it is THE 10" speaker.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

yea i reckon this would sound better than a Gold in the ported/closed back cab, a Gold is the schiz, but it needs to breathe......

4. JKjr

JKjr Member

What he ^ said.

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

So why would the greenback be better in a ported cab?

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Can somebody talk about what characteristics make one speaker bettrer than another in a ported cab?

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

You need to give Freda a call and see what they recommend. Ported cabs are designed and built around a specific speaker. Your experience with the Weber is probably because it was the wrong speaker for that particular cab design.

8. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

EXACTLY!

So many make the mistake of sticking speaker after speaker in one cab and then judging the speakers, when the cab has just as much to do with it. I got the sweetest sound from a hemp cone Blue Dog in a solid pine and birch panel cab, then put it in a VHT cab and suddenly it sounded like a radio shack turd.....the speaker didn't change, only the cab was different.

10. Spentmusic

Spentmusic Member

Freda recommends specific speakers on their site. Not sure about those specific Weber speakers but the Ragin Cajun would get my vote from this list.

11. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Thanks.

The only one with a British voicing that he mentions is the Ramrod. How would you compare this one to the Ragin' Cajun?

Anyone know which Celestion speaker the Ramrod is based on?

I'm guessing the Ragin' Cajun is probably modeled on a vintage Jensen?

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

These are the ones that Freda mentions on the 1x10 page:

Eminence ($264):
    -all 75 watts-
    Copperhead - Punchy upper mids; great country, articulate clean, classic rock
    Ramrod - British in your face tone with big top and bottom
    Ragin Cajun - American, darker, smoother tone; great blues, warm cleans, fat rock

Weber ($249):
    Chicago CVC - Tweed tone, awesome reproduction, 15 watts
    Chicago CTC - "Super" blackface tone; fat mids, amazing cleans, big overdrive, 25 watts