1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a ~$1000 'boutique' guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bady, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Bady

Bady Member

Looking for a unique guitar (not the usual suspects like Fender or Gibson). Budget is around $1000. Pickups could be anything but preferably single coils or filtertrons or P90s (because I already have a humbucker guitar).

Javiceres, wstsidela and Simon like this.
  2. poppunk

poppunk Member

[​IMG]

w.izzy, Alb1441, Jimmy R and 52 others like this.
  3. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

Reverend Matt West Signature. Like a LP Jr with Fender scale on steroids. $999
    [​IMG]

4. poppunk

poppunk Member

So is this about boutique guitars are mass-produced non-Japanese SE Asian imports?

5. prototype

prototype Member

any used one that cost $3k new lol

vegarman, cutaway, zube and 13 others like this.
  6. Drew816

Drew816 Member

[​IMG]

;)

Boutique Quality for around $1k? Prices inflated for a while but I have to tell you, early PRS CE24s and 22's were amazing quality guitars. I've owned a few, the one I own now is a '93 that's in for a refret and it's top notch!

Good luck!

Germi, Wolfboy1, leftygeetar and 30 others like this.
  7. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Honestly, I'd look for a used EBMM Silhouette - hell, I've seen a couple of their Cutlass models go for 1000-ish.

Another option is something from G&L. Absolute top tier guitars, in my experience.

8. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

If you go to Reverb.com and search for "boutique electric guitar", while setting a price limit of $1000, it looks like there might be some nice options out there for you.

ford, BSG, grendel and 6 others like this.
  9. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I think the boat has sailed. $1k boutique guitars were possible about 5 years ago, but now you are looking at like $1500 for like a beat up PRS. There won't be many, if any Core PRS for $1k because the S2 sits in that bracket, even the SE are approaching that price.

You may find an original Mira perhaps for $1k? I've seen them for that or less but that was a few years ago too. I mean it is not impossible but it's harder now for sure.

The best I got was $1200 on a Palir Titan, this was in 2015 though. They are all $2k + now on reverb.

Javiceres, Gasp100, TheClev and 2 others like this.
  10. fitz

fitz Member

I think my Guild Starfire IV is a super nice guitar for the $1100 I paid for it. It is the from the Newark Series. The LB-1's pickups are somewhat between a LP Deluxe pickup and a Filtertron. Great quality and tone on this guitar.
    [​IMG]

11. Bady

Bady Member

Haha I realize I'm not likely to find one at this price range but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm surprised no one mentioned Rivolta guitars for example. Thanks for the suggestion!

wstsidela and Drew816 like this.
  12. Bady

Bady Member

Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into that!

mojeke and matw like this.
  13. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

How about the G&L Doheny?

14. Bady

Bady Member

Thanks, will do!

15. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Supporting Member

Might get lucky on a USA Hamer at that price

SigXer, burningyen, Hbom and 9 others like this.
  16. Bady

Bady Member

Never seen that one before, I'll check it out; thanks!

tymj2112 likes this.
  17. Bady

Bady Member

It seems like I'm asking the impossible. I probably need to reconsider what I need and/or my budget. I thought I might find a used one for around $1000; but it seems like even the used ones are a lot more than that. Anyways, thanks for the detailed response.

18. Bady

Bady Member

That looks nice! Actually my current guitar is a Reverend Double Agent and I love it! The thing is I'm not fan of one-pickup guitars in general. I like to switch between the neck and bridge pickup.

ifallalot, BSG, Dexter553 and 2 others like this.
  19. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

20. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

How boutique do you want to go? I bought a '95 Hamer Artist for under $1K, but that was around seven years ago. You may still find a deal like that. It has humbuckers, though.

While G&L and PRS aren't boutique companies, you may be able to find some of the lesser-sought after guitars for under $1K. I have a G&L ASAT with P90s, for instance, and an early (pre-S2) PRS Mira. The Mira was under $1K, the G&L a bit over.

matw, Drew816, fitz and 1 other person like this.