1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a 12" for my Super Champ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gary F., May 5, 2005.

1. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Okay, Crusty is custom making a cab for one of my Super Champs that will take a 12" speaker. What speaker would you recommend that will enhance the bottom while still keeping a clean blackface vibe? Your thoughts or expereiences?

Thanks,

Gary

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    if i was lucky enough to have a setup like that, i'd prob'ly use the Emi Swamp Thang. :D

:cool:

3. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Jeff-

For blackface tones?! Seems more british, based upon Weber's description...

Gary

4. hawkeyeinexile

haven't seen Weber's description & i have the highest regard for his opinion. but i heard one in a Bob Burt cab driven by a TR Custom Sig last weekend and think it would fill the bill. plus Emi puts it in their American series (Patriot) and claims a "Awesome bottom end" .

'course it's real efficient, so not a good choice, if you don't want it louder & cleaner.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

I put a Celestion Blue into an similar amp and it was the right choice for me. What a great speaker the Blue is!

6. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Glad you hooked up wth Steve. I think you've seen mine with the Blue in it... sounds great but I bet you could do well with a number of Emi or Weber speakers. (Crusty can probably get you a good price on them too)

-Pete

7. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Any one know which of Eminence's series is their knockoff of the Celestion Blue?

Gary

p.s.-Thanks for hooking me up with Crusty, BTW, Pete. Turns out we live in the same town and have met before. Small world...

8. Lamont

Lamont Member

Highly recommend a weber silverbell --or an original silverdog g12

9. OOG

OOG Member

right freaking on Mr Hawk
    owned 3 Superchamps and settled with a G10 50
    still to bright ('course it was a 10" still) and a long time ago

i have a Swamp Thang in a BB cab and i think it would be perfecr for this app
    haven't heard a C Rex yet, but i think it might be vert good also
    from what i've read, it would be similar, with a little more top end
    it's the next speaker on my list

10. hawkeyeinexile

know what? i got a '82-83 concert head here. maybe i might have Crusty make me a combo cab for it & shove a Swamp Thang in there. he made a 4x10 cab for me 2-3 years ago, did a real nice job. still have it.

11. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Gentlemen-

I've read up on all of your suggestions and the only thing I've decided with certainty is that I don't want to spend $170 for a speaker. I'm leaning toward the Emi Red, White, & Blue or Red Fang. How about Emi's V-12; I believe they are the same as Carr's Kingpins? Any thoughts of $100 (or less) alternatives? This is for a home practice amp application, so having the loudest speaker is not a priority and remember, it's an open back cab.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the input thus far.

Gary

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'll tell you what, one of the best deals in speakers that I found is the Weber ceramic Sig 12. For 45 bucks you get a really cool speaker with a lot of character. It's a C12N design using a British cone, gives you nice lows and mids with a sparkly/chimey highend. I had one in a Deluxe Reverb II and it sounded excellant.