Recommend a 20watt head cabinet for Pedal Platform

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewired, Feb 3, 2019.

1. telewired

telewired Supporting Member

So the deal is a I do a lot of looping----laying a groove down and than a lead and maybe use an octave pedal for bass fills etc.
    Have used Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs and a Victoria Victorilux and Victoriette.
    Looking for a smaller head cabinet---thinking I am wanting tones warmer and rounder than the TR and SR. Maybe something with EL84`s or 6V6s or EL34.
    Do not need or really want a second channel.

What are your suggestions??

2. scott58

scott58 Member

Except for the 2 channel part. Laney Lionheart 20.

3. doublescale1

doublescale1 CS336 w/Fralin P92's Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    VHT Special 12/20 with the 2X6L6's Head for 20 watts should be considered - handwired (std. old-school tech maintenance easy w/online schematic available), BF voiced specifically to be a clean pedal platform (and it is), slightly oversized cab so it's never boxy (should you decide to go combo), built-in attenuator, 9V power supply in upper right hand corner (as you look at it) back of amp for powering pedals you like on top of amp. Great value, great tone, if Fender loud clean is what your looking for. You can pay more, but for loud, giggable clean F-voice, the VHT Special 12/20 is a way not to - the 12 watts comes from the 2X6V6's shipped w/amp - a simple bias switch inside back of amp set you up for your 2X6L6's for your 20 watts. Available w/or w/out Reverb built in too. I've had the non-reverb since it first came out, no issues replaced stock 6V6's after 2.5 years w/JJ's. Some of the very early, first ones w/Reverb built in had problems but that has long since been resolved. US designed, Asian built for the handwired price break. Good Hunting.

HeavyCream likes this.
  4. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia - 18 watts, 2 EL 84s, takes pedals great!

Unadan and Miles Long like this.
  5. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

Rivera Venus Deux Recording Top. Single channel. 25/12W with the 6v6's. Built and promoted as a clean pedal platform. You might not want/need the "recording" features, but you can't go wrong with this amp. I understand it is the same as the clean on the Clubster Recording Top (which I own); it's voiced like a '65 blackface.

No FX loop (yes, old school) but the Laney LA30BL is supposed to be great for pedals. It might be a bit "more" than you are looking to get ;-) but still, this is TGP, right?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    oansun likes this.
  6. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

The new Revv D20.

mikeratan00 and Old Guy like this.
  7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

If you ignore the gain channel, the PRS MT15 has a fantastic sounding clean channel that loves pedals.

Stratburst70 likes this.
  8. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

1970s Silverface Bandmaster Reverb Head fitted with JJ 6v6s rather than 6L6s. The SF BMR has a small output transformer that keeps its weight down.

While technically a 40 or 45W head.. the 6v6s drops it to 25 ish. Granted the JJs are about the only 6v6 that can handle the 6L6 voltages but the extra volts really make those tubes clear and sparkling. A very nice match with the SF voice.

Bonus is you can build a 2x8" speaker baffle for that head cab (takes an hour max) which makes for a terrific grabngo practise or small venue amp. I take it out for small room gigs and even larger rooms that have in house PA. I fit mine with Jensen mod 8s which I got on sale for 23 bucks each and they are pretty decent with the acceptance of inevitable loss of bass response. They are lightweight and handle dirt pedals nicely.

Its two channels generally gives me acoustic guitar and electric guitar amplification. Have used it as a powered stage monitor in a band situation. I have also used it with pedal steel, dobro, Roland Vdrums, and even vocal PA with my jbl cab.

I can plug it into any cab that has the voice I am after for the specific situation, which includes a 1x15 d130f jbl cab, 2x12 d120f jbl, and 4x10 jensen p10r. Sounds best wirh 8 ohm cabs with the 6v6s.

This has been an insanely practical solution for my complex needs.. It is my single most used piece of gear.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I’d definitely look at satellite amps.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Pla
    Played one of these today into an Orange 1x12. Really cool amp and I'm resisting the urge to go back and buy it.

12. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I really like the Marshall Mini Jubilee’s clean channel. It plays really nicely with pedals, and offers instant John Frusciante with a Strat.

I have also heard really good things about the PRS MT-15’s clean channel as well.

The Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head is a great choice if your budget is limited.

13. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

Suhr Bella on Half Power

geoangus and Old Guy like this.
  14. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

I like the name of them!

On a serious note... do they come with an FX loop, with mix?

15. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

16. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

What is your price range?

17. big mike

No
    They’re very minimalist. Great platforms or just crank it and rip.

Adam’s a mopar fan...

18. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Yup... I saw the name of his amp models. Pretty cool!

Some of the weird effect pedals I have, don’t have a mix incorporated.

They need to be in a loop.

Those Satellite amps look well constructed, and I do have the Fogcutter distortion pedal. Nice build.

19. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

If you can find a Reeves Custom 18 on the used market it may just give you what you are looking for

20. big mike

On tour with Marc Ford and the magpie solute.

Pedal Dan likes this.