Recommend a 6L6 amp around a thousand bucks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Auld, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

My first ever tube amp was a EL84x4 Palomino.

For my first 6L6 amp, I want to find something $1000 - $1400

Thinking Fender, but not limited to that. Chiba told me some Mesas were 6L6.

I play jam band stuff. Open to lots of tonal diversity.

Leaning towards combos but really not boung by it. Just looking for ideas.

Thx folks

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Gries 35 is killer 6L6 fender tone,a guy is selling one here for like 900.00 great buy.

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I will check it out, thx

What else? :)

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Looked at some new Fender amps today. Sure are pricey.

Reissue Blues Deluxes (in 1x12 and 4x10 configurations)
    Hot Rod Deluxes in varying trendy colors

Also looked at an AC30CC for $1199 - I think this is closer in family to the V32, with 4 EL84s, but it is a darned cool amp.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Look for a used Rivera Quiana studio. They are great amps that have a killer fender clean channel and a pretty good hotrodded marshally lead channel.

6. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Fargen Blackbird might be an option used...I know there is one in the forum for 1250 in a combo right now....Best Blackface amp I have played...:dude

7. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

A good kick-ass amp in that price is the Fender Super-Sonic. I never would believe that Fender would make an amp I was interested in, but this puppy covers a lot of territory like blues to 80's metal easily.

8. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

9. meterman

meterman Member

Early (pre-1973) Silverface Super Reverb or Pro Reverb. Should be able to find clean ones in your budget even allowing $150 or so for tubes, filter caps and a tuneup. Workhorse amps, quintessential "Fender" tone, PTP wiring, hard to beat IMHO if you're looking for a 6L6 Fender amp in that price range.

10. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Get a Ceriatone's version of a Tweed Super! That is a killer 30w amp! I'm stoked on the quality of the Ceriatone's. They have lots of 6L6 amps, Super Reverb, Tweed Super etc etc

11. hemlock

hemlock Guest

For something a little different in a 6L6 amp, try a Top Hat super Deluxe. Used should be in that price range.

12. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

:eek: Spam alert!!!:eek:

You could try my Chicago Blues Box Kingston.
    If you don't like the 6L6's you can put in EL34's or even 6V6's.

13. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I'd recommend a Mesa Mark IV. It is one of the most diverse, tweakable amps out there - three channels and about a billion knobs, switches, and push/pulls. But of course that comes at the price of spending a month or two to dial it in. It's an incredible amp in the long run though.

14. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

look at the Kustom Coupe amps as well. they are kick ass sounding and take pedals extremely well (they don't need them though)

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

There are all kinds of vintage Fenders (bf Bassmans & 2x12 cabs, sf Pro Reverbs and Super Reverbs) which fall into the pricerange. Just make sure the filter caps are healthy, the replacement work adds $$$.

Used Boogie MkIIIs, the amps Anastasio used way back, fit the bill, too, though I like the earlier MkIIs better for cleans. I'd go for a head and wire it up to an old Fender 2x12" cab or something similar.

In more recent-production stuff, used Fender Vibro-Kings are typically within range, but be carefully with the early 90s models which use an EL84 in the reverb circuit, there was a flaw in the original design and the amp needs a small mod to run correctly.

Probably my favorite recent-issue 6L6 combo has been the Victoria Victorilux with 3x10" speakers. You might find one used for ~$1500.

16. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

I love my top hat super deluxe

17. CrazyFingers

CrazyFingers Member

FWIW: I believe the 40watt BB is the only one using 6L6's. May want to check that--when I bought mine a couple years ago, that's the way it was.

Having said that, it is indeed a great sounding amp!
    :AOK

18. Chukster

Chukster Member

My 2 recommendations were already made! First, a late 60's Fender Super Reverb or Pro Reverb (my favorite amps of all time). For something new, built beautifully, and overall great tone, I second the vote for Alessandro Working Dog amps: 3 of my friends have had several each, so I've played probably 8 different ones, and I really love these - light, great tone, reasonably priced, especially used. My personal favorite is the 2x12 version with either the 6L6 or EL34 configuration.

19. freaksho

freaksho Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic can use various power tubes and has tons of versatility, including channel specific power selecting! it also has the added bonus of being the Mesa that sounds least like a Mesa - no metal in there at all. a good bet for jam band stuff, i'd think.

also, the Mark 1 reissue can be had for that price. it was good enough for Carlos, so lots of jam band in there too.

20. freeradical

freeradical Member

Tweed Bassman LTD/RI.