• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recommend a a great wah wah

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
Totally out of the loop (no pun intended) on this, but what would be a great all-around wah pedal?

Does not need to be a classic cry baby and I want a slightly more modern sound, one that's quiet, and has a good sweep range.

There's so many artist models, boutique, and other brands (Digitech), and auto wahs, I feel a little overwhelmed. I want one that sounds good live, standard cover band stuff.

Is an auto wah better than a regular ol' foot controlled one?

Thanks in advance.

ferrinbonn

The Crybaby Mini is great. Inexpensive, 3 voicing options, true bypass, and the size works great on a board. I really like the tone too. Def check it out.

zztomato

Roger Mayer Bel Air wah. Volume pedal when in bypass and has a great buffer and has sweep and wet dry mix. I've never looked back after getting this wah. Fantastic- fantastically expensive as well though. :(

nic'o'caster

There are so many good wahs out there, some pretty much expensive (Xotic, Teese, etc...) Think also that a wah is a personal taste : you better try a few ones in a shop before deciding. The Frampton might be too artificial sounding, the mini Crybaby too mini...
Check the Ibanez WD7. The name (WD for Weeping Demon !) might deceive you, or let you think it's for metal heads only, but it's really a quiet, solid, non expensive and all around good wah, quite customizable with the 3 control pots. I also like the fact it's optical (no scratchy noise, ever !) and that is has an auto switch function: As soon as you step on the pedal, the wah is active. I would have never bought one based on the name and ugly look but after trying one in a shop I was convinced it was for me, formidable !

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
Look at the different rmc wahs...see which one looks like it will work best for you...no need to look back after that

Dig ?

Silver Supporting Member
Xotic is about the best out there right now for your application (clean and versatile) but i really dig my moolon vintage wah, as well as my buddwah for a more wound up pissed off jaguar sound

the pearl

Gold Supporting Member
Xotic is about the best out there right now for your application (clean and versatile) but i really dig my moolon vintage wah, as well as my buddwah for a more wound up pissed off jaguar sound
i second this - its a small foot print and i think its just incredible - but runner ups normal size fulltone / joe bonomassa cry baby is also really great -- -- and finally if you just need every once in awhile and want more room on your board ... mini cry baby

marsos52

I'm very happy with my no option Area 51

it may be better with hum buckers over single coils

all my electric guitars are single coil and i have no issues but i have put hum bucker's
thru thru wah and thought it was even better

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Fulltone Clyde is voiced just right and the sweep is huge, a great classic sized and voiced Wah. The Mini Dunlop sounds amazing with 3 voices to choose from and true bypass - I find it to be a perfect size to provide classic Wah tones and save space and weight on my board. I have them both, the Clyde on the larger board, and the Dunlop Mini on the small board.

myaudiodna

i second this - its a small foot print and i think its just incredible - but runner ups normal size fulltone / joe bonomassa cry baby is also really great -- -- and finally if you just need every once in awhile and want more room on your board ... mini cry baby
I can't vouch for the Xotic, but I 100% second the Banamassa and Cry Baby Mini. Love both.

Igotsoul4u

I think the Teese RMC 3 is the best wah I have ever played. I actually have an RMC5 but its totally not my thing at all and I rarely use it. My point is that wah's have a huge range of parameters and no one can tell you which one will be right to your ears. I was shocked I didn't like the RMC5 but I got it for $75 and can probably get my money back.

On the cheaper end I thought the CAE sounded pretty good.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I'm more inspired by classic wah tones and if I were in the market, I would definitely consider a BBe ben Wah. The Buddy Guy seems a great choice from the usual suspects.

The Xotic is a tad pricey but gets great feedback from users. The CAE also seems a sure bet.

My usual procedure when a dedicated wah is on call for me is to track down the cheapest GCB-95 I can find and do the Stinkfoot wah mod steps found on his website. TB switch, maybe LeD, new Fasel, and a 1 cap and 2 resistors. Usually come in under $50. And when it runs its course, I get about $25 trade in at GC plus 10% off a new item... like a guitar, which adds to the "value" of the wah in a round about game.

I will +100 the Xotic XW-1. This wah is versatile without ever drowning you in options. It's super easy to dial in for the sound you want, it's incredibly musical in all settings that I've tried, and the form factor is just the right balance between function, efficiency and aesthetics. Seriously, I will never buy another wah.

Trending Topics