Recommend a bridge humbucker for my Strat

SmokeyJacks

I have a Fender American Special Strat that I bought new last December. I really like the Texas Specials in the neck and middle positions (I know a lot of you guys aren't big fans) but I don't really like the tone of the Atomic humbucker in the bridge position.

Can you guys please recommend some humbuckers for my strat? I don't have a huge budget so please don't recommend the most high-end boutique stuff :)

SmokeyJacks

to be honest, i don't really know what tone i am looking for because there isn't a particular strat/humbucker tone that comes to mind. jeff beck had bridge buckers in his strats, right?

SmokeyJacks

The Atomic HB is really muddy. When the tone knob is rolled down, it has a decent bass sound...but even at 10 its muddy sounding...I want more bite.

Any band sound that your are trying to get?

I had a SD Custom 5 in a PRS Santana SE and it made a world of difference. Sounded sweet coil tapped too. Nice tight low end. I was playing mord hard rock/heavy metal.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd go with a Duncan 59 or Custom. Maybe a Pearly Gates.

Should match up well with the Texas Specials and sound great.

rabbuhl

Black Fralin Unbucker. Buy a 500k Fender S1 switch to control the split and 500k pots.

SMark

If you need to bring out some more highs...

PAF Output - Duncan Pearly Gates
Mid-Gain - Duncan Screamin' Demon
Hi-Gain - Duncan Custom

And I expect that the Duncan Custom is likely lower gain than your Atomic HB, so don't think that the Custom is necessarily a metal pickup. All these buckers will give you increased articulation without messing with the bottom-end much. Although, of the three mentioned, the Custom will have broader mids along with the higher gain.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Get a Suhr SSV Humbucker. They pair up well with SCs, and I think they are priced reasonably well. They are not hot at all really. Just a great sound with some honk, bite, and clarity. I think you will be pleased.

batsbrew

bill lawrence L-90.

call them, and tell them what kind of sound you're looking for, they'll select the proper strength pickup to suit.

DaveG

My Fat Strat Texas Special came stock with Texas Special neck & middle pickups, and a Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge... it's a great match up.

dughaze

I have a Fat Strat Texas Special too. I love the Texas Special single coils and did not like the Pearly Gates + humbucker in the bridge. I replaced it with a highly recommended JB and that is even worse. I am ready to try an Anerson H2 or H3 in it next. I had an H3 in an old Strat and it really ripped.

I could probably live with just the neck pickup in this guitar though, that is where the sweet spot is on this guitar. It's like Hendrix or Vaugn but only better.

Wait, tone is in the fingers right?:spit

I crack myself up.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Is Fender actually using a Pearly Gates plus, or are you guys referring to the DH-1, which supposed to be based on it? Just curious.

DaveG

Is Fender actually using a Pearly Gates plus, or are you guys referring to the DH-1, which supposed to be based on it? Just curious.
Mine says "Seymour Duncan" on the front of the pickup & "PGP" on the back... it's a Pearly Gates Plus.

Trending Topics