Recommend a Cable: Guitar to Amp simple 12 to 15 ft.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Feb 14, 2006.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I know there have been other threads. I just need a good guitar cable. I have some Monster. They are OK. I have a Spectraflex, better than Monster, IMO. Have some generic that suck.

I just need a very good cable to plug in from guitar to amp. No pedals or efx.

Thanks.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a couple Pro Co Guardian cables I use and am very happy with them.

Tele, cord, Gries 35...

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

For the best sound and big bucks, Two Rock Crystal Clear. For pocket change and better than anything up to twice the price, Lava Cable with Canare/Neutrik.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Seems to me the right cable is the one that, after trying several, sounds best with your gear. This is NOT going to be the same for every piece of gear or player for a wide variety of reasons, but a few are:

Cables DO sound different, and often emphasize different frequencies, and often work differently with various pickups and guitars, and players have different tastes, use different amps, different speakers, different outboard gear, and different cabs AND MOST IMPORTANTLY play different music and have different tastes...

With this in mind, I don't think a broad question like "Recommend a cable of a certain length" like this can be answered fully.

I'll give you one small example that assumes only one piece of gear in a signal chain is different: cases where one uses a well-designed buffer box.

Since a buffer box (or a good pedal buffer like the one on the Klon) will preserve high frequencies and affect the overall capacitance of the rig, it will magnify cable differences.

And what about hot pickups vs vintage ones? What about differences in guitars? Guitar circuitry? The amp's capacitance? What speakers, cab, tubes, etc etc etc?

There are so many variables that it really pays to experiment for yourself if this kind of an issue is a concern enough to post on a board.

Several good cables I can recommend that you try out with your gear:

Canare, Mogami, Two-Rock, Evidence, George L, DiMarzio, Belden, and certain Monster models. On a personal level, I like the Canare and Mogami with bright sounding pickups, the TR cable for recording, where I can use EQ to balance out the frequencies I want, the George L for certain guitars, and the DiMarzio for certain others.

5. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

Bayou Cables - great folks - good prices!!

6. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Bayou and Lava both make real nice Canare C6 cables at a reasonable price and they sound great.

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I think that LSchefman has it exactly right. It is SO dependent upon your rig and even your guitar playing.

I like the Monster cables, I see no reason to throw a few hundred (thousand) dollars at experimentation. But then again, I haven't heard the really high end cable. Maybe I would be a convert.

Philosophical sidenote off topic:
    I have a different philosophy tho. I lump this into the 'guitar strings' category...get good ones, and forget about them. You CAN spend alot of money (can you say Pyramid?), but it seems to me that I am losing 1% of my tone by NOT spending all that money...not so bad.
    Sidenote over.

But it's still interesting to watch these threads. The search for the ultimate tone never sleeps!

9. samwheat

samwheat Member

10. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

They should be for the price! I am using Lava Canare cable now, at this level, I think that you would have to A/B the two to tell the difference. That of course is not real world. I would have to "see God" to pay any more for cables than I have already........ no disrespect intended........

Joe

11. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

Make your own with Canare c6 and Neutrik ends and save yourself some cash.

12. Boogs

Boogs Member

I just buy Bayou, plenty good enough for me. I use them for speaker and mic cables as well.

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

georgels a great cables. some might say are on the bright and flimsy side. it depends... right now I'm using lava cables and it sounds good and is built well.

14. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

George L original cable with stretch straight connectors. They may look flimsy, but mine has over 300 gigs on it without a repair.

15. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Bayou .. to me these cables open up the spectrum a little bit and I can hear the low end a little better, volume also is up a bit.
    Besides that I like Monster cable with Gold connectors but the sound is a little brighter and thinner.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Which Monster do you have? I have a jazz, a rock, a bass, and a "Studio". The Studio is the best cable I have yet to hear. (Also twice the price of the others) The Two Rock is a very good one as well, but works best for a Dumble style.

18. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

None taken. If you are unable to hear the difference then you shouldn't spend the money....wouldn't make any sense.

19. webb

webb Member

+1 on bayou cables.
    George L's are fine too, but they have a tendency to bunch up.
    Klotz Lagrange cables are pretty cool, they have a liquid midrange thing happening.

20. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Supporting Member

i agree on making your own cables with some canare or mogami with neutrik ends. or you can find em on ebay or stompin-ground