Recommend a combo for around $200

scott757

I'm looking for a small combo to have around the studio. Something that takes pedals well. I have about $200 so that pretty limiting. What do you recommend?

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
Super Champ XD comes to mind if you want tube. If you can find one, a VOX Pathfinder 15R is a fantastic solid state amp.

The China One down the road has a Dinner combo for well under $200...only...no substitutions...

motokev

try the new fender bassbreaker 007, impressive little amp. Oh, U said $200.

Hmmm, used fender super champ XD was a fun amp.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Find an old USA made Peavey Bandit, teal stripe if you can. Should be $150 TOPS. If they can't get a good sound out fo that as a pedal platform, it isn't the amps fault.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Find a broken amp and fix it. (my dad bought me my first tube amp 'as is' for $25, and fixed it)

Stratobuc

I'm looking for a small combo to have around the studio. Something that takes pedals well. I have about $200 so that pretty limiting. What do you recommend?
Honestly? A used Roland Cube. I could not believe how great those sound. If you weren't looking - you'd swear it was a tube amp. They sound great, they're light, and you can find one cheap.

lkft

All great suggestions here. Another vote for the Fender SCXD. Avoid the "X2". For some reason they've had reliability issues.

Blues Power

+1 on post 6 and 11

you cant beat those old 80's bandits. USA made and built like tanks.

I have on old 65 that I use regually and has never let me down, the ch 2 OD sucks but the cleans are nice and it takes pedals

you can still get a nice one for $135 or so maybe less and if you want to go tone crazy pop in a vintage 30

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
I got a used Roland Cube 60 for $180 and sold my Cube 30 for $100. My #1 is a Vox Tony Bruno 6v6, but the Cube's are absolutely decent amps - hard to imagine anything better for the price. I don't hesitate to use mine - smaller, lighter and just as loud as the Vox. And better onboard reverb.

Trending Topics