recommend a compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dazco, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I really don't want to spend a lot, so whats a good budget compressor? Whats the squier classic vibe of compressors if you will ? Not concerned with anything fancy. My goal is just to add as little compression as it takes so that with average gain at fairly low volumes i can sustain a note and have it blossom into the harmonic. It almost does that now with no pedal, but not quite. All i require aside from the compressor doing a decent job is sonmething thats on the quiet side as compressors go.

2. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

Boss CS-2? You can pick 'em up used pretty cheap sometimes. I dunno. Sounds like you're just wanting sustain without the compression but most compressors are going to give you the ol' pop and squish as part of the package. No idea as to how quiet it is.

I have a Maxon CP101 that can sort of do what I think you're describing, but it's not what I would call cheap.

Sounds to me like you're looking for opto compression as opposed to something VCA based, so my CS-2 recommendation appears rather dumb now.

I have no idea what the Squier Classic Vibe of compressors is but once we find out I'm going to go buy one.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i really liked the AYA R-comp, but if i were to get another one, id say the mad professor FCG

4. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

Just read about the T-Rex Tonebug Sustainer. Says it can be used as a compressor or as just a sustainer. Not the most handsome kid on the block but it's $100. Sounds pretty transparent but maybe slightly noisy at higher settings. And the attack switch is nifty.

5. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

I can sell you a Toadworks Mr. Squishy compressor. When set right your sustain will blossom cleanly. One of the most transparent and underrated compressors out there. PM me if you're interested. I'll give you a good deal on it

6. Joe Silence

Joe Silence Member

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Diamond, not overly cheap, yet worth the money.

8. MrMedley

MrMedley Member

I've had great luck with the RAF Mirage. Have tried the FGC, Boss CS2 and Tone Press and stuck with the mirage. It's very smooth like an old LA-2A studio comp. Also want to try the Empress eventually, but am in no hurry.

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Check out http://ovnilab.com.
    Plenty of great, cheap compressor recommendations.

I prefer the MP FGC myself but it's certainly not cheap.

10. sae

sae Member

Seconded on the RAF Mirage. Very happy with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfVfuImVzM

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Hartman Comp is an OS type compresssor. Inexpensive but effective.

12. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

13. sockeye

sockeye Member

If you want a great cheap compressor I have a GGG OSQ that I built which I could sell cheap. It's a great-sounding pedal. I would only offer it for sale because I am building another in a 2-in-1 case with a boost.

14. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

Biyang Baby Boom compressor for about $50 on amazon.com