Recommend a DAW Controller/Interface other than a Digi003

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by soli528, Jan 29, 2008.

1. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Hey out there-
    My production department at work has approved about $1500 to upgrade audio recording capabilities. Currently we're just running mics to a preamp and running the output of that into a computer's soundcard. Looking to purchase a combination of control surface (we often multi track recorded v/o with various backing tracks/music bed) and I/O that won't break the bank. We don't use PT as a platform here, but I use LE pretty extensively outside work and would like to be able to bring by outside projects in for editing on the improved system (after work hours, of course :nono) so it needs to support PT. Sound like a Digi 002 or 003, right? Well, I generally only need two channels of mic pre's at any given time, and if I could record higher than 96k I'd like to. Plus the Digi's too expensive. I cannot buy used products as the purchase needs to go thru our accounting system (purchase order, etc...). I saw a NAMM blurb about the Alesis MasterControl (won't be out til this summer): http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2007/01/19/namm-alesis-introduces-mastercontrol/
    It sounds like the ticket (only $799!), but I've had so-so results with Alesis equipment in the past.
    Does anyone have any other recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. cultureofgreed

cultureofgreed Member

Euphonix has some new and sexy controllers. These guys make high end and quality stuff. These new controllers are their new at this price point.

3. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the link- I think "sexy " is certainly applicable here. I wish it featured some sort of I/O, pre's and A/D conversion.

4. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I just bought an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O after much research. Got it on eBay for cheap, but if you must buy new, it is $1250. Does just about everything the Digi 003 studio does and is cheaper and just as good. Good mic pres, plenty of ins and outs, can't beat it.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

+1 on the ProjectMix I/O.

6. cultureofgreed

cultureofgreed Member

If it did it would be $10K plus, but we can always dream. :D