recommend a Delay unit that colors my sound the least

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by primerib, Jan 25, 2008.

1. primerib

primerib Member

I'm an old G-Major user and I was happy with it in my Triaxis/2:90 rack. But I've been using a Road King II and now I simply want a delay on a couple of channels. Being not much of a pedal guy, I picked up a Digitech Digidelay unit to throw in one of the loops, but I find this thing really changes the sound.

Anyone know of a good Delay unit that colors the sound 'the least'?

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Do you want a delay that colors your dry signal the least, or one that offers high-fidelity echos that sound just like your dry signal? Or do you want both?

3. primerib

primerib Member

"colors your dry signal the least" because the loops on the RKII are serial. when I engage the loop with the digidelay, it changes my tone a lot. and I'm not talking about just the delayed sounds.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

My experience of the Boss DD-20 is that it is completely transparent for your dry signal. The DD-20 does not convert your dry signal to digital and then back again to analogue, like many, many delay pedals.
    My experience is completely based on using the DD-20 at instrument level signals, before the pre-amp. You can of course select whether to set the thing up for line or instrument level signals. I can't remember how to do it, but that's what manuals are for, right !

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

My strongest recommendation would be the analog delay that Analogman makes. It is an excellent delay that is exceptionally quiet, but it is the best that I have heard in terms of avoiding any effect on your dry signal.

Hamfist may be correct, but I have no independent knowledge whether the DD-20 converts your dry signal to digital. It is, however, quite transparent and versatile. I find the DD-20 colors my tone no more and no less than any standard Boss analog stomp like a chorus or distortion pedal when disengaged. I do know that the DD-3 and DD-2 pass an analog dry signal. The DD-2 is one of my favorite delays, and it is also as transparent as any standard analog boss pedal.

The BJF Deep Blue Delay is another good option. It sounds indistinguishable from a good analog delay, but maintains a pure analog dry signal path that sounds great.

6. primerib

primerib Member

Sweet. THanks for the comments on the few delays you guys mentioned. I'm going to try some of them and see which works best for me. :RoCkIn

7. JVania

JVania Member

I like the red SIB echodrive. It CAN color your sound a lot...if you want it to, but it can get insanely subtle if you want too. Plus a wide range of time on the echos, due to the fact it's not analog. Just an idea.

8. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Go digital then. The DD-3 is used by a ton of people for the reasons you mention.