Recommend a dual mic preamp on the cheap

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Beng2040, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive dual mic preamp (tube or SS) for some home recording. I'd use it on drums, vocals, bass, etc so I'd like something versatile. There are plenty of options but I am trying to keep it around $200 or less. Used gear is preferred. Anybody have some good recommendations? Thanks!

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Look for a used FMR Audio RNP - it might be a little above your budget, but it's a good unit.

3. Beng2040

Thanks guys. I can stretch it a bit for the right piece of gear that will last a long time. I'm just doing basic basement demos but my drum and vocal sounds need to be better than what I'm getting. I'm using a Tascam DP-24.

4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

At that price point, I'd look for a used Symetrix SX202, Aphex 107, or dbx 386. You might stumble across a Rolls RP220 for under $300. That would definitely give you more color than the above choices, plus it's reputedly great for bass di.

5. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

At that price, you aren't going to get better than you have already...

More importantly, your tracks sound bad because of instruments, mics, room and a TON of other factors BEFORE a preamp makes any difference worth considering.

The whole "preamp" craze is one of the biggest myths ever created by the internets...

Give me some ART 60 buck preamps and a tuned room with a great musician and I'll smoke a rack of the most expensive preamps ever made in a garage or bedroom...

Save your money- just write good songs and perform them well.

But thats not the fun answer... Just the real one.

If you want to be sure, make a recording with what you have. Leave the gear and mics in the SAME place and just put your new preamps inline. Record again.

THEN ask people which track they prefer and WHY... Nobody will mention anything to do with preamps... And if you listen carefully/blindly you will realize you are wasting money.

6. Beng2040

Maybe that's what I needed to hear. My unfinished basement where I record is probably the main culprit. I am getting very distant sounds from the drums. I am using Oktava MK-012's overhead and SM-57's otherwise. I have an AKG 4033 condenser too. I guess that for what I'm doing, I don't really need much better.

I use my DP-24 to get ideas down and arrange. Then I take the ideas to a friend's house. He's an excellent drummer and has Pro Tools, etc and the sounds he gets are great. I guess I'm just jealous and want to get closer to the sound he's getting.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

8. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Presonus Blue Tube. Swap out the stock 12ax7 for a 12at7 and you get a fairly sweet preamp.

9. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I agree with this for a lot of reasons.

Yes, it's true that in a great sounding room, on a great recording preamps can and do sound different from one another. But mics make a much bigger difference.

Then again, in a shootout one of the trade mags did a while back, ART preamps that are very inexpensive did as well as some very high priced preamps.

All things being equal - and by that I mean, preamps that are functioning to spec that have decent headroom, etc. - it's really not about the preamps. It's about the performance.

I've never, ever heard anyone say, "Wow, what a great preamp on that vocal."

I have heard people say, "What a great vocal." I've even heard people say, "That's a beautiful recording." Maybe the preamps contribute there. A little. But other stuff is far, far more important. And I say this as someone who actually has, and has had, some nice preamps.

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

What are you hoping a new preamp will do that your current setup doesn't achieve?

Two basic types of preamps - one is for clean transparent signal boost. The other is a preamp that colors the sound. Which do you need? If you want it to color the sound, then how?

I have the DMP3 because now and then I wanted a bit more clean gain than my presonus interface can offer. I tried 2 different models of ART Tube MP, and both were too noisy for me.

12. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

13. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

The ONLY preamp I can think of that is in that price range AND will sound really good, IE better than your average interface's built it preamp is the new Audient ID14. $299. I have the iD22 and these are wonderful preamps.

14. billdurham

billdurham Member

+1 on the Aphex 107.. good bang for the buck and doesn't sound bad..

15. Beng2040

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I bought a presonus Bluetube V2 on ebay for $100. I've had a couple of these and thought they were decent enough. I'm looking for something that will mainly sweeten up my overhead mix and do a decent job on vocals. I'm open to buying another and will check out the ones you've mentioned. I could use some on the snare and kick too.

16. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

I'll recommend a Behringer, fits your budget and it's more important what and how you play anyway.