Recommend a dummy proof delay in between a Carbon Copy and DD-3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 27sauce, Feb 12, 2015.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Trying to take the blanket off my board which is the Carbon Copy. I've played it since it came out, and loved it, until I swapped it with my old DD-3 last night. I liked the sound of my guitar more with the DD-3, but I preferred the delay on the CC.

I'm not up on what's out there, so, recommend a clear sounding analog? Give me something super simple, 3 knobs…I played an Aqua Puss for a while, and enjoyed that. What else is out there?

2. 27sauce

3. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Ibanez DE-7 on Echo mode

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

What version of DD-3 do you have? If it's not a big chip, you might try one of those (DD-2 or big chip DD-3 are the same thing - supposedly a little warmer than the newer versions of the DD-3, but I've never played them side by side. If you want analog delay, the Moog Minifooger gets good reviews and Boss has the DM-2w (which appears to have just been released, finally) that would be worth checking out. All have dead simple controls.

5. 27sauce

My DD-3 is from '97. Pink bottom, small power jack plastic. Not sure what chip that makes it.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Since your aren't afraid of digital and don't need something to costing an arm..
    Give the Tech 21 DLA a look. A really effective tone control for emulating tape/analog, but excellent mix/vol controls...plus tap tempo and modulation. Sits underneath really well (if you want it to), or can be more in your face too.

Can usually be had around here for $100.

Drawback - has more than 3 knobs.

7. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

The small power jack is a newr version (great info here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/516)

Honestly, I'm not sure there's enough of a difference to warrant picking up a DD-2 (I'm guessing there will be a bigger difference between any analog delay and a DD than between different versions of the DD), but it might be worth checking out if you have the time/money. DD-2/3(big chips) can be found for under $150 if you're patient. I think I got my DD-2 for around $120. Some people think they're broken because of the power supply thing with old Bosses (ACA vs. PSA) plus the big chip takes a couple of seconds to boot, so there's a pause before it turns on.

8. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

9. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

diamond memory lane JR

10. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

Since I don't know what your full set up is, I could be talking out my ass here... But my first thought is that the "blanket" of the carbon copy vs the clarity of the DD-3 in guitar sound (not the actually delay) could be the difference between the DD-3 having a buffer and the CC being true bypass. So, if that's the case, and you really like the CC's delay sound, you just add a cheap stand alone buffer behind it? YMMV

Some "analogish" delays that have gotten good reviews around here:

Ibanez DE-7 - not actually analog, but still pretty revered around here for a dark, washy delay. And you can still find them relatively cheap.

Moog MiniFooger Delay - actually analog, no mod, but you get a drive control and expression which is cool

Seymore Duncan Vapor Trail - Looks like SD's shot at the Carbon Copy, analog BBD's, you get a rate and depth control for the mod, also a TRS cable allows you to apply effects on the delay trail

Boss DM-2W - Looks like it could be very cool, especially if it actually hits those old DM-2 sounds, but reviews have been sparse, seems like Boss has had some delays with actually shipping this one

Ibanez ES-2 Echo Shifter - Kind of under the radar, and all the reviews I've seen have noted some tap tempo issues. But it seems like a seriously underrated delay, great sounding modulation, you can switch off oscillation which could really come in handy for big washes of delay. Plus, it looks like a little mini knock off Moogerfooger with it's side panels.

Moor Reecho - Super small and pretty cheap, a lot of guys seem to love the sounds found on this one. Not actually analog though

Line 6 Echo Park - this ones a bit more complicated than some of the other ones mentioned, and people turn their nose up because it says Line 6; but it just sounds great. A bunch of different delay modes, tap tempo, and switchable modulation between digital, tape and analog on any of the modes. The tape and analog modulation are still some of my all-time favorite delay sounds, especially with reverse and multi-tap. Plus, you can find these pretty cheap still.

11. Lef T

Lef T Member

I just ordered this one.

12. 27sauce

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm.researching all if these. Simplicity is really the key. I liked the CC, but hadn't noticed how dark it was until I tried the dd-3.

3 knobs, tops. I got really used to making quick changes with the three, easy to read knobs.

So basically, a brighter CC. I don't need modulation, and I don't need tap tempo.

13. jota

jota Member

TC Flashback?

14. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

You might look at the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. It is warner and fuller sounding than the DD3, but still very clear. It has a simple three knob layout and an analog dry path. I think delay times max at around 400-500ms.

15. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

The Catalinbread Montavillian might be right up your alley. It's technically digital, but it has a great sounding analogish timbre to it.

It has 4 knobs though......

16. stephanar

stephanar Member

Boss dd7 will do it.
    It is buffered like your dd3, and 3 knobs if you keep the fourth one in a fixed position. I suggest keeping it on analog.
    Or you can get your dd3 a treeble cut mod.

17. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Sounds like you want an analog delay with some warmth... Check out the Korg SDD-3000. To me, analog is going to be dark and have some grit to it.

18. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Moog MF Delay is a very clear sounding analog delay. Much more present than the CC, if that's what you're looking for.

19. Daka3

Daka3 Member

+100.

20. 27sauce

Thoughts on the ibanez AD-9?