Recommend a Fuzz pedal for a non-fuzz user

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Apr 23, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've never used a fuzz pedal - not ever, never, not even once!

Now I've got the itch! Anyone got a good recommendation for a relatively inexpensive fuzz pedal that would sound good with a G&L Legacy through a BF'd Vibrolux Reverb? Sub $150 would be ideal!

I'm leaning towards the Huckleberry or the Barber Trifecta. Any others I should consider?

Brian

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Matt Well makes a very good, hand-build fuzz that is what fuzz in in every way. Very good. I use other fuzz, but Matt "gets it" I think. You can find it used for your price, I think?

DS

3. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

I would go with the Huckleberry, it is extremely versatile and sounds great too. The new four knob V2 looks to to be a very cool fuzz.

4. 900

900 Member

You absolutely can't go wrong with the Dano French Toast. Sounds great with any amp I have.

5. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

i'd start off with a fuzz face. you can pick up a brand new fuzz face for 100 bucks. no need to get some fancy ass germanium transistor fuzz for someone who has never used a fuzz before. i'd stay safe and get the silicone fuzz face for now. if that itch turns into a rash then maybe you can get some boutique fuzz but there is no reason to get one if you are just stepping into the world of fuzz. half of the boutique fuzzes out there are based off the fuzz face anyway so you might as well try the original first. just my 2 cents.

6. duende

duende Member

+1

Get the Fuzz Face... learn how to use your volume knob and clean things up. You might just end up getting rid of all your OD's/Dist. boxes. ;)

7. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I just got my first fuzz - Lovepedal 200lbs of Tone. I'm really liking the tones I'm getting. Lot's of range with the guitar's volume knob.

I'm using it with a G&L Legacy > Gries 5 (bf style amp). My rig runs a little dark (due to the Tonkerlite?), so I'm not having the issue of the 200lbs sounding too bright.

They're starting to pop up used for less than $150.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have to agree with the Huckleberry comments. That is one versatile fuzz, it will show you many different fuzz tones in one box. I had a Huck, but sold it only due to real estate issues and the fact I have 4 other fuzzes I love. The Huck did a great job copying my other four. I meant to try the V.2 at the Dallas Guitar Show last weekend but got distracted.

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I've been using a Cusack Screamer Fuzz and being a non fuzz user getting into fuzzes, it's been great. You can get that spitty fuzz to light fuzz and mix in the screamer OD to get all territories in between. I've actually started using it as a solo boost for my Eternity. Very nice indeed. Not too much traffic on these Screamer Fuzzes. Not sure why but it's a great pedal. Don't let the lack of a tone knob throw you off!