1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend A Fuzz Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blues junkie, Feb 12, 2006.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

I am looking for a fuzz pedal and am interested in some opinions.I never owned one so some input would be great.I play Blues and Blues/Rock and some slide.My main guitar is a G&L S-500 Mahogany and ASAT Super into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe limited edition "emerald". Here are some I've checked out.

Fulltone 69
    Fulltone 70
    Fulltone Soul Bender
    MJM Foxey Fuzz

What else would be good to check out?

Thanks.
    Blues Junkie

2. mcormier

mcormier Guest

what kind of sound you looking to acheive?

3. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

To be honest I can't really explain it. I'M new to the whole pedal game.Some of the stuff I like is Zeppelin,Hendrix,and Cream.I was looking at distortion pedals when I plugged into a fuzz and thought thats the sound I've been hearing in my head.I guess something that's smooth and thick but not to dark and can clean up with the guitar volume.Hope this helps I know it's not a very good discription.

Thanks.
    Blues Junkie.

4. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Analog man Sunface best ive tried so far..It is MY definition of what a fuzz pedal is. Listen to greg V clips on analogman.com . that is what sold me

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

But I might add the Soulbender may be more the tone you are looking for if Zeppelin is what you are after. SunFace is more Hendrixy

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I love the Fulltone '69.......does EXACTLY what you mentioned.

7. doomy3

doomy3 Member

What about the ZVex Fuzz Factory? You can get tons of different fuzz tones out of it...

8. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I swear by the Keeley Fuzz Head. I also would like to add the Karl by Lovepedal to my board, but I'm currently suspended from spending any more money on gear! If you can check those out, you might like them. The other I like quite a bit is the Sweet by Frantone.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1 on the Fuzzhead. Has germanium/sil toggle to add in some extra cream, is very sensitive to input volume, and like all Keeleys, is beautifully built. A refined, versatile, well behaved fuzz. Not too big either. AC

10. bullet69

bullet69 Member

lovepedal Black Beauty Balance

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

Hey Blues Junkie, welcome to the site.

We have a similar rig and similar playing tastes/interests from what I can gather. My search for fuzz lead me down those same conclusions as you have listed. I was finally happy with the MJM London Fuzz (ge). I'm using an American Deluxe Strat and a thin hollow with P90 pups in it through a Blues Deluxe. I can get some Cream'ish tones out of it, particularly like on Swlabr. I haven't used it too much on slide, I would use my Banzai Cold Fusion usually for slide playing...but it's gone now, sadly. Anyway, the clips on Mike's site for the London Fuzz don't sound too close to mine. I think the LF sounds much better at home, in my hands.

12. Wooley

Wooley Member

I'm also using the Keeley Fuzz Head right now and it's solid. It has a switch that adds a silicon tranistor to the circuit to give more of a Tone Bender type of sound or just use the Germanium side. But I also like the Fulltone 69 and the Analogman Sunface. I agree with the recommendation of the Soulbender for this poster, also.

13. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

If your interested in hearing some clips go to my site to listen to my offerings. There are many good makers out there to choose from that will do what you need. www.throbak.com

14. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

Go to Build Your Own Clone and buy the parts and make it yourself. I just finished painting my enclosure and it kills any boutique for aesthetic appeal, if I can say that:dude . For $100 in parts you can have an awesome fuzz face clone with both Ge and Si.

rickkane

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

BYOC.... You can buy both the fuzz face clone and the tone-bender clone for the price on one "booteek" pedal.... Keith's great, very helpful, and knows his ****... I love his stuff...

16. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The MJM fuzzes are nice, don't put a buffer in front of them they will sound very aggressive, the Texas Square face is a cool fuzz, not so weird with buffered outputs before it,can be sputtery or smooth, not allot of volume, and the retroman fuzzes sound awesome with the wolftone Machine going way over the top and last but... the mayer spitfire gnarly at it's best.:moon
    I should mention, and there are many that will concur. Leave now with your Soul, while you still may or you will be DOOMED to spend your waking hours here wanking with us:FM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

"Leave now with your Soul, while you still may or you will be DOOMED to spend your waking hours here wanking with us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I am new here myself and I can tell you this NOW. Heed these words!
    :YinYang :YinYang :YinYang

18. webb

webb Member

Check out the Lovepedal Karl. There are clips on Lovepedal.com