Recommend a Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LReese, Dec 10, 2005.

1. LReese

LReese Member

I've been playing around with my rig to see if I can lower my background noise. I've put some EMG's in a guitar with some decent results and will probably buy another set soon, but I don't think that is the solution to the noise (i'm not really objecting to 60hz hum from the pickups as much as the hiss from the pedals).

I have a Fulltone '70 (Prefer the Silicon fuzz tone, but is a little noisy) and a Frantone Sweet (this is the really noisy one). I can get along with the '70 if I'm using high impedance, but I know it does not like anything low impedance. Is there a Fuzz (or a fix for my '70) that sounds ok with low impedance and high impedance guitars?

Thanks.

2. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

The demeter fuzzulator is hands down the best fuzz I have ever played. So many fuzzes need hours of tweaking to find the sweet spot - the fuzzulator is just sweet all over. It has two modes and is based more along the lines of a fuzz face than a muff - it gets fuzzy but stays focused and dynamic through all settings. Has a more overdiven responce IMO. I have been through a fuzz factory, octane 3, keeley fuzz head, EH big muff, flying tomato and others - this just nails it. You wont be dissappointed.

3. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Try placing a volume pedal after overdrives and fuzz to lessen hiss.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

I think you are stuck with some noise with a silicon fuzz...especially with the "fuzz" level set near max...backing off the guitar volume should clean it up nicely but then the fuzz effect goes b-bye.

5. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Get a hybrid fuzz (one with Ge and Si). I'm borrowing a Retroman Sybil from a friend and its great. You can dial in the Si savagery and snap with a mellowing effect of the Ge in front. I find that I can get the noise down and have a very nicely textured fuzz that goes all the way from smooth to gnarly. And it backs off well at the guitar. And it doesn't seem so fussy about what's in front. I have lots of fuzzes that I like in different applications to get certain types of textures. I love this one as an all-rounder.

6. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Big + 1 for the Fuzzulator.

7. LReese

LReese Member

The Demeter sounds interesting. Got a silent Speaker, but I'm using a Weber MASS and a PDI-09 to feed into my computer.

Will it work properly with a low impedance input?

Love the tone of the '70 and it is acceptable in the noise dept., but it doesn't like low impedance input. Maybe there is some low to high impedance buffer around on the internet I can build to make it work with the Fulltone.

I did try something last night, but it sounded a bit unnatural. I put a noise gate (ISP) between my Frantone Sweet and my SD-1. Silence, although I can hear the noise (hiss) from the Frantone cut in and out. This may be as good as it gets.

8. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

I second this recommendation.. I've been using the Sybil since they first came out for production.. Very versatile cover a WIDE range of fuzztones. has a unique feature were you can turn off the battery by turning one of the tone knobs full CC so you don't have to unplug it all the time.The sounds are great, check out the soundclips on Joes site. They represent the Sybil well. Fantastic strat neck P/U tones.. Joe is a really cool dude to deal with as well.

9. Craise

Craise Member

+2
    Sybil is the best fuzz I've played..sold all my fuzzes and kept just the sybil.
    Very verstile fuzz. ;)