Recommend a good fuzz pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John H, Jul 31, 2005.

1. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Okay, Fuzz gurus, here are the particulars:

I play roots rock (60's rock-alt.country, and everything in-between).

My main guitars are Fenders ('62 RI Strat, '52 RITele, & Strat XII), though I also have a couple of humbucker-equipped Hamers and a P90-fueled Hamer Special.

My amps are a '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber C12N), a 90's Vox AC30 (Celestion Alnico Blues), and a Carr Hammerhead.

I used to have a Dunlop FuzzFace (Analogman modded), which I liked vs. loved, and a Fulltone Octafuzz (which I found unusable). I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, plays well with other pedals, and is either versatile or an unbeatable "one trick pony".

Your insights and opinions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

the Frantone PeachFuzz is an awesome fuzz pedal, its cleaner fuzz then say the fulltone octave fuzz and the fender blender. i find it to be very usable and the sound is just incredable!!

*it ushally goes for around 194 or something close to that on the net. let me know if your into buying it and i can get you 20 bucks off, so it would cost 174.

3. hell yes

hell yes Guest

how about the new seymour duncan fuzz--the tweakfuzz, as a cheap, versatile fuzz?

otherwise, I would think that the Fulltone '69 would be a safe bet for a one-trick pony that can be had for around $100 on ebay.

4. exodus

exodus Member

I think one of the biggest sleepers out there is the Pedalworx McFuzz. They are about $175 new, but can be had for about $100 used.

It will go from a cleanish boost with quite a bit of volume, to a saturated fuzz. But I think the sweetspot is somewhere in between, and yeilds a very smooth tone that is really inbetween a fuzz and an overdrive. Inside are a mix of ge and si transistors which keeps it stable in different temperatures. It works just fine with every fuzz pedal I've matched it with (something I can't say about may other fuzzes), and is pedalboard friendly with an LED and AC power tap, and its true bypass.

If you are looking for something with more teeth-- like a square wave buzz fuzz, this really isn't it. It's really more of a subtle fuzz, but I guess that's really why I like it.

5. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

For what you're doing, also check out the Austone Fuzz Nutz. It's really got the vibe.

7. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Based on your particulars,I would go with the COT50.

Should cover your music requirments.Plus it's realy versitle being a great leave on all the time tone enhancer, killer light grit pedal & maxed out reaches medium FF teritory.They can be had for around $160 used,I think there is one in the emporium right now.

8. dave s

dave s Member

Most fuzz pedals I've worked with are indeed one-trick ponies.

A good one (as mentioned earlier) is the Sunface fuzz. Currently using the base model and it does great on the psychodelic 60s style fuzz tones.

dave

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

+1 on the McFuzz...choose HOT if you want all silicon

Tone Factor HellBilly
    Analogman Sunface
    Keeley Fuzzhead

10. aquadog

aquadog Member

I also agree with the mcfuzz. Its inexpensive, plays really well with other pedals, and is super versitile.
    Although I'm sure the analogmans are great, they're all over 200.

I posted a product review of the mcfuzz if you want a good description of it.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

another mcfuzz vote!

12. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I had a McFuzz...sounded very nice but for me it was very limited in range as far as optimal sound. A bit of a one trick pony.

Check out MI Audio's two new fuzz's; The GI and Neo Fuzz...affordable, tweakable and small.
    www.miaudio.com

13. b_rad

b_rad Member

I've got the first Hellbilly HOT coming this week. If it works out pretty well, it may become a permanent option. :)

14. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Keeley Fuzz Head for versatility: switch caps, spin wheels, turn dials... and the tone is real.

15. muddy

muddy Member

get sean (lovepedals) to make you an "ezekial," which is a ge version of the black beauty balance. not only is it a phenomenal sounding fuzz oozing with vintagey character (and not even a one-setting only fuzz, either! it'll dial in BOTH a fuzzface AND a tonebender!), but it's also concealing a ge treble boost (albeit a slightly fuller range one) that lives on the counter-clockwise side of a blend pot, the fuzz existing at the other end. the boost side is a bloody gorgeous sounding boost, too, that doesn't take over what you're trying to boost, rather it melds beautifully while goosing the tone you want more prominent, yet with very slight turns of the blend pot, can also fill or thin out the following od/whatever, should you need that done. i've been using it to ever so slightly goose my pro analog dual drive for a slightly over the top, greasy & slick soloing tone. it adds just a hair of compression while not interfering with the dd's overall tone, except to maybe even the frequency response a bit.

and, as if that weren't enough, the mid-point on the blend pot produces the response of an overdrive, rather than a fuzz, and giving you usable degrees of drive throught the drive pot's range. in other words, you aren't forced to accept a fuzz that only happens when the drive is dimed. if you couldn't already tell, i am REALLY diggin' this new fuzz/boost of sean's, bigtime! i actually much prefer the germanium influence on this circuit to the hybrid ge/silicon of the original black beauty. it's richer & fuller sounding. in any event, it's not listed at the lovepedal site, so you'l need to either keep an eye on ebay, or query sean himself.

ml

16. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Another big thumbs up here for Analogman's Sunface.

17. Marcello

Marcello Member

strange how fuzzes became popular in the last 2 years !

18. CHyde

CHyde Member

I got the Seymour Duncan TweakFuzz a few weeks back & I love the tones in it. From real thin & transparent to full-on Clapton & Cravitz. A cool pedal for $99!!!

19. Tchello

Tchello Member

For me the best ones are Frantone Peach Fuzz and a BJFE Pink Purple Fuzz, a liitle on the expensive side but a real good one.

20. khudson

khudson Member

My favorites:

Pro Analog Scaryface & MKII
    Keeley Fuzzhead
    HellBilly