Recommend a good multieffect

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mayor McCheese, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

I play in a Rush tribute band, and I've been using a variety of different stomp boxes to recreate Alex's sounds as close as possible. It works so-so. Up through about Moving Pictures/Signals I can get reasonably close, but there are a few sounds I need that I'm compromising on right now.

Current signal chain is:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal -> Teese RMC-1 -> Phase 90 -> Digitech Turbo Flange -> Boss chorus -> Digitech Digidelay

Issues are:
    I need a simple, unintellegent pitch transposer, say a 5th or an octave.
    I keep having to manually tweak my delays. I can only get one out of the digidelay. It's a great unit, but Alex often runs a short delay in lieu of reverb and then switches to a longer one for solos.

I used to own a TC Electronics G Major and it will handle this, but I thought it sounded a little weak. Might have been the amp I had at the time, though. This is on my short list.

I'm also thinking about the XT Live. The nice thing about this is I wouldn't need a separate MIDI switch unit, and I could use it for other stuff. However, I'm concerned about how it will sound. The effects in the previous generation Line 6 stuff that I've owned are pretty weak.

What other stuff is out there that I should consider?

2. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

You might be able to get just two more pedals to pull it off. Another delay and a pitch shifter. I think he used a Mutron octave divider or something on Signals.
    He's currently using TC Electronics G Force I believe...I'm a big Alex fan myself.

http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopalex.php

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Expensive:TC Electronics
    Cheap:Line 6

There might be some old/new Digitech or ART stuff that will do the trick. But I don't know much about those...

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I went through a bunch of multiprocessors until I switched to pedals about two years ago.

Ditched the POD in favor of Boss
    Ditched Boss in favor of ToneLab

The ToneLab is the best that I've heard. Haven't tried the new Zoom G9. It's supposed to sound pretty good though.

Here are some tips on getting the best sound out of processors:

1) Run the processor through an outboard tube box. For example:

Tube Factor -> Processor
    Processor -> BlueTube
    Processor -> LPB-1
    Processor -> Black Finger

2) Run the processor into full range speakers. For example, JBL Eon's or a keyboard amp.

3) Use an EQ to reduce 6KHZ-8KHZ by 3db. This will kill some of the "digitalness" of the processor. You can use an EQ inside the processor or an outboard EQ.

John

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Frankly, I'm very jaded with MFX amp modelling for live use. Buying a huge floorboard for just the FX also seems like overkill. If you want a good, reliable board with useable sounds, I'd recommend the Boss ME-50. That's a solid workinghorse for a good price, and doesn't use attack killing amp modelling.

+1 on the new zoom stuff as well. They've really cleaned up their act with the G series.

I'd also go with a Boss GT-8 over the Pod XTL, as it's got cool features like the 4-cable method and it's designed to work with amps.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd just add a couple of pedals:
    Boss DD2/3 with a simple mod will give you both a credible analog delay sound and a good digital sound for pretty cheap.
    Boss PS5 gives you lots of pitch shifting choices.

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I do miss being able to press one switch to get completely different settings. I currently have three delay pedals, each with different settings. I also have an A/B loop switcher with one loop for lead stuff and the other for rhythm. That way I can set up things like clean with phaser and dotted eighth note delay on loop A and Landgraff with lead delay on loop B, then switch back and forth with one click

John

8. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'll second that. I've got one in the closet and that's where it stays most of the time. But, when I need some "trippy" effects to break out on a song or two I pull it out. So far it's seen gig duty only twice.

9. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx has two delays in it so you can use one for short and the other for long. It's expensive but blows away just about anything else out there: www.fractalaudio.com

A TC Electronics G-Force is also a good option and you can find good deals on used ones.

CC