• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommend a good practice amp?

Ides of March

I'm talking about something small, to use while watching tv or in the bedroom, like that. I have my stage amps covered. But was wanting something to use so I am not stuck in the basement and using my tube amps all the time.

Ides of March

I was thinking of something along the line of a Micro Cube. Is the Mustang a cheaper amp, never played through one.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on what kind of stuff you liek to play. If it's more Marshall-y rock stuff, those Microcubes are pretty cool. If you want better f/x in a more Fender Vox type thing, the Vox Mini 3 is killer! The f/x are actually pretty good. The gain-y type sounds on these, as well as most modelers sounds like it's wrapped in cellophane. But clean to mid gain they're not bad. I mean for $85.00 those Mini 3's are a steal.

Ides of March

It depends on what kind of stuff you liek to play. If it's more Marshall-y rock stuff, those Microcubes are pretty cool. If you want better f/x in a more Fender Vox type thing, the Vox Mini 3 is killer! The f/x are actually pretty good. The gain-y type sounds on these, as well as most modelers sounds like it's wrapped in cellophane. But clean to mid gain they're not bad. I mean for $85.00 those Mini 3's are a steal.
I guess it's more like going over scales, permutations, picking exercises and my covers which is mostly Iron Maiden riffs and passages.

I guess it's more like going over scales, permutations, picking exercises and my covers which is mostly Iron Maiden riffs and passages.
Consider looking at the Blackstar HT1 (no Reverb) or HT1R. Respectable clean and gain sounds for practicing at "TV volume" via 1 watt and a 8" speaker. I was able to find a dead mint HT-1 for $125.

HawkeyeKane

The new Peavey Nano Vypyr looks like it give the Micro Cube a run for it's money. And it's got a few features that make it a little more versatile.

There's a thread or two about this already, but I'd also consider getting a headphone amp and open headphones. The Koss PortaPros sound fantastic for the money ($50?), comfy (if you like on-ear headphones) and you can hear right through them. Plus, the sound tends to be a lot better for the money than a little amp, in my opinion.

It might also give you a backup rig that fits in your gig bag depending on the headphone amp rig you pick. :)

Lastly, regarding specific amps, a friend of mine has a Danelectro Honeytone and said that for playing and writing at home he hasn't wanted anything else for a while now.

$0.02.

HawkeyeKane

The Fender Greta might be a good itch scratcher for you too. Tube power, desktop convenience, and nice retro looks.

Couloirman

Silver Supporting Member
How much do you want to spend?

Swart 6v6se/Atomic Jr, Dr. Z Mini Z, Fender Mustang I/II/III, Fender Superchamp XD/X2, and Blackstar HT-1r all would be near the top of my list depending on what your price point is. Or maybe one of the new 1 watt Marshall 50th Anniversary amps?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom