Recommend a good stereo headphone amp.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MrMunky, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I am not entirely certain what makes one good; I just need to use one set of headphones at a time. It just needs to be able to drive quality high-impedence headphones and be transparent.

Or, should I just snag a cheap mixer like a Behringer or something similar?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Altho I've never used one, the Behringer headphone amp seems to be one of the few things they got right, according to users.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I really like Benchmark's amp. If you're looking for something cheaper though, try the Pro-Ject Headbox II before moving up to the intermediate ones.

4. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

This guy in Canada makes a nice little headphone amp, I'm using to drive a set of Sennheisers. He sells on evilbay
    I like it a lot* in between my PC's sound card and a nice set of cans and it's not expensive.

*Note: I'm not a weird audiophile with $1000/ft speaker cable or resonance -tuned wooden knobs on the amplifier so YMMV. It's a simple little box that does a simple little thing and to my ears it does its job well.

6. MrMunky

Since I dilly-dallied and will need this machine soon, I've narrowed it down to the two best locally available options:

The Presonus HP-4 or one of those small Behringer Xenyx mixers.

My application is narrow: I just need one stereo headphone output that is loud and transparent.

The Presonus is overkill in terms of stuff that isn't terribly valuable to me. I don't need a monitor output or 4 headphone outputs and probably won't any time soon. The little behringer mixer on the other hand would be useful for various things. I'm always looking for another phantom power supply, little mixer, xlr/.25" converter etc, and it would be handy to have around.

Does anyone think that the mixer would be substantially less loud or transparent than the Presonus for a single set of headphones?

7. MrMunky

I'm going to go buy this thing in about an hour, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

I'm 75% leaning toward the mixer.

8. david henman

david henman Member

...i'm buying the behringer.

-dh