recommend a good USED acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by RSRD, Jul 15, 2006.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

I'm a long time electric player. Hardly even touched an acoustic in my life. But Im putting together a 3 person acoustic band for fun and want to get your alls recommendation on what kind of acoustic I can get used for up to $700. I prefer darker tones and dont forsee playing up the fretboard to much. mainly for chords. I will be playing this at live venues so I'll need some kind of pickup as well.

Thanks! oh and if you are selling let me know :)

Thomas

2. boog204

boog204 Member

i love seagulls and tacoma's ac/el's at those prices... if you're looking pure dread and then adding a pickup, i had an old guild d4 that sounded better than acoustics 5x the price. i really like the sound of garrison dread's as well.

brian

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Check eBay for Alvarez MF90, or MD90. MF being the folk style model, MD being dread.

Both have solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top, bone nut & saddle. As with most stock guitars, the tuners could use an upgrade, as well as the strings, but that's about it.

I got my MF90 Brand New on eBay, w/ a great travel case, for $500 shipped.

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Buy a used Martin DM....although new they're only $749.00.

Then put a Baggs Active Element pickup in it.

A good combination that won't kill your budget.

5. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Takemine F360S - an amazing used guitar and dirt dirt cheap

6. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

If you've "hardly touched an acoustic" in your life, you're doing the wise thing here by asking for advice.
    I recommend listening especially to players who DO play mostly acoustic, and have played that way for long periods.

I don't fall into that category, but I did just finish a 3-yr. stint backing up a singer-songwriter, which brought me into contact with lots of "folkie" players and acoustic afficionados. They have as wide a spectrum of opinion about woods and brands as electric players do.
    My tidbit of advice is to concentrate on getting the best playing/sounding instrument, in itself, before you worry about amplifying and/or electronics.

7. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

Check out the Larrivee 03 series with rosewood back & sides: the D-03R and the L-03R. They are nice playing and sounding solid wood acoustics. The rosewood will give you the darker tone (than their mahogany models) you're after.

They retail new for about $945 ($1349 list) so you should be able to find a used one in your price range. Many on ebay. IMO, in the less than a $1000 price category, Larrivee is hard to beat.

8. opdev

opdev Member

Martin 15 series used. Nice dark tone. You will LOVE it.

9. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I'm really an electric player and I have a Variax 700 acoustic. When my partner heard the acoustic sounds I recorded, he got very quiet, then wondered why his Martin doesn't sound like that recoeded. The action is more electric guitar than an acoustic(because it really is). I had it Plecked by Phil at Philtone, and he was pretty excited about it too. They have the Acoustic 300, much less expensive than the 700 phattrade on EBay has a "best offer" advertized, maybe you can bring it home for $500 and use the savings for a plek job. Good Luck

10. Greg

Greg Supporting Member

I think you can pick up older US-made Guilds still at that price.
    My D-40 has a nice darker sound.

Greg

11. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i have a martin 000-15ce for sale that falls into your catagory all solid mahogany with a factory pickup/preamp eq built in

pm me if you're interested

12. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

An older Guild or a Yamaha(even new) is your best bet.

13. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

Lots of good options so far. Another option would be Breedlove's Atlas series. You can get a lower-end model for $500, but the stuff around $800 is actually pretty nice and comes with a pickup.