Recommend a "grab 'n go" amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trumpus, Mar 25, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

...no this is not another thread about bedroom amps - I've seen all those! I'm looking for recommendations for a good grab and go amp - something small, light and portable - something that sounds good too! I'm looking for something that I can take to jams and small, quiet gigs - possibly even travel with . I currently play either a Gibson CS Paul Jackson jr. or G&L Legacy. I play mainly rock/funk/spacey jam stuff....

I don't have very many absolute criteria but here are some thoughts
    • Definately looking to spend no more than $500
    • Somewhere between 5-20W
    • Mainly interested in something with full, chimey cleans - I'll get my drive from pedals...
    • ...takes pedals well
    • I'd prefer a combo
    • Nothing solid state
    I've thought about a Silverface Champ or Vibro Champ or a Pro Jr. I had a Blues Jr. for a few years but sold it last year - I never really bonded with it. Looking for something with a bit more "soul."

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a used reissue deluxe reverb would be cool as nuts, but might be more than $500.

3. trumpus

...and not nearly portable enough. I guess I should have stressed that portability is paramount! I've got a Vibrolux Reverb and a Mesa DC-3 -both too loud, too heavy and not "grab'n'go-ish" enough! I've got a Blackheart 5W head that I dig alright, but it just inst what I'm looking for...

Brian

4. Matt F

Matt F Member

Peavey Classic 30. Great little amp :dude and w/in budget. Just under 40bs.

[​IMG]

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

Crate V3112 ... fantastic cleans. I was really surprized by these amps in a good way. Tone wise they are as good as amps that are over twice the price.

6. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

i am in the same boat as you and I have settled on a Vibro Champ. that box is a boat load of fun. a huge recommendation with these SFs is a Barb EQ. Awesome combination right there... just awesome. my wife is 7 months pregnant with our son and I am getting it for him for his b-day. :)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

fender blues jr.

buy used, and replace the speaker with something nice, and there you go.

8. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

My thoughts as well.
    Last sat. we a/b Reinhardt 50, Jtm 45 clone, Dr.Z script, Matchless 30..
    ..and lastly a Deluxe re..I was very impressed. The amp had its own thing going on.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ok, scaling back a bit, if you can find an ampeg j12T, you'll have a very cool little 15 watt non-master volume tube amp with nice reverb and fantastic, tube-bias driven tremolo. they're cheap, but with a good speaker, quite spacious sounding, without the midrangy gain of the peavy classics or fender jrs. (i'm referring to the quasi-reissues of the last decade or so, not the 60's oldies.)
    [​IMG]

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

SF Champ for sure!!! Just got mine and posted about it. A killer little amp that just sounds amazing, so pure and clear and rings like a bell. No brainer, I got mine on TGP for $300, you could most likely scale up and get a Vibro or something a little cleaner/BF maybe for a bit more. Awesome...

11. edward

edward Supporting Member

Fender PRII ...no question. Beautiful, chimey, 20 watts in 6V6 luscious depth. Also, it's got a nice/deep reverb and a 12" spkr (which you should change the OEM Fender immediately with your fave, but at least offers you far more tonal options than a 10"), and two channels (which you should treat as two lovely tonal options, and NOT as a channel switching amp).

FWIW, mine is my g-n-go (whenever I don't feel like taking out the Boogie) which I've played in full band settings ...gorgeous tone, period! It's a bit of a wait to find one on the bay, and may just be a tick over $500 (I got mine for $500 exacly), but you won't regret the tone.

Edward

12. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Pro Jr
    Blackheart
    Fender Vibro Champ XD (played one today, needs a 12", but outside of that...holy crap)
    Fender Super Champ XD
    Gibson GA-5

these are the ones I have looked at or played thru at one point or another.
    just suggestions, I'd look at each one of all the ones mentioned in the thread and see what you like about each of 'em.
    YMMV.
    r.gp

PS: on another note, a local shop had an old '68 Fender Vibro Champ
    original for $350, so maybe there's more vintage stuff like this out there...

13. burner

burner Member

those are actually both very good suggestions.
    I was going to say the "Classic 30" just right off the top of my head...but maybe the "Classic 20" might be worth a look as well.

I forgot all about the little reissue Ampegs but sometime back around '95 or '96, I bought a new one....ReverboRocket I think it was, and it was a truly great sounding little amp for not a lot of dough.
    I originally bought it as a novelty piece but I was surprised by it.
    IIRC, the reverb didn't sound as great as the actual vintage Ampegs I've played though.

14. doc

doc Member

A couple of ways to go:
    Get a silverface Champ, install the Area 51 fixed bias kit and a Weber 8A150 speaker. Thats probably the BEST you can do for the price you suggested. Lots of vibe, enough volume for a small gig (or large if miked), very portable. Not very clean except at lowish volume, but a nice sounding semi-clean.
    Get a used Peavey Backstage 50, replace the speaker with a Jensen Neo, and find a "real tube" overdrive to run through it. Not exactly all tube, but bulletproof, sounds good, can handle most gigs, portable. I use a Soldano GTO (but for you I'd pick something else - the GTO is a tank itself and kind of defeats the edge in portablity. I'm probably gonna pick up a Zen in the near future) Not as much vibe as the first option.
    The other choices already mentioned are valid as well, but I haven't road tested those!:RoCkIn

15. go7

go7 Member

Deluxe clone.Good luck.

16. sqadan

sqadan Member

I have the older reverb only version of this amp - it was my first guitar amp and the only one i've never been tempted to sell. Great amp for around the house.

17. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I just got an old Gibson Falcon and it's light as a feather and sounds amazing. You can still find them under $500. Takes pedals super well and looks pretty cool, in an ugly sort of way.

18. trumpus

What's the difference between this version and the version that is currently for sale?

Brian

19. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

20. Ryan

Ryan Member

Blackheart Little Giant. Drop JJ's in it, and you're set. Replace the OT with a Hammond 125ESE and you're setter. ;)