Recommend a high gain pedal for my setup.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcmark611, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Here's what I have so far....

Strat with '69 pups-->Classic Crybaby-->Tubescreamer-->Blues Driver-->Dunlop Univibe-->Boss CH-1-->DL-4-->Blues Junior

I'm debating between a Turbo Rat, BYOC Large Beaver Ram's Head and the new MXR Classic Fuzz but, I am open to suggestions as to what would work best with my rig. Not looking to sound like anyone in particular.

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

All three of those pedals are completely different.

The Rat is distortion with a fuzzy edge. The Beaver is a Muff fuzz and the MXR is more classic ala Hendrix fuzz.

So really it's a question of what sound you are after. For versatility, I would go with the Rat.

3. xntrick

xntrick Member

i have only tried a basic Rat, but when i compared it to a sansamp gt2, modded metal zone, and damage control metal pedal..the Rat was quite lame

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

A nice big lead sound is what I am after.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

6. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Is there a way to buy a pedal with the mods already done? I'm horrible with a soldering iron.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

yup. cmatmods will do it for you. You'll have to get the pedal yourself and ship it to him

http://www.cmatmods.com/mods.html#mt2

Even the plain vanilla Sustainia mod without the tri-gain option is killer (if you want to save 20 bucks). In fact, that's the one I used to have. The tri-gain gives you extra versatility though

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Not all Rats are created equal. Trust me, a good Rat is a very decent distortion device.

9. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

Lovekraft Chupacabra or Barber's Dirty Bomb

10. dstinkyb

dstinkyb Member

You could just get a cmatmods Brownie, it's the best distortion pedal I've ever played. Barber's got a new one called the Dirty Bomb which is pretty sick too.

11. chameleon101663

chameleon101663 Member

Love my MI Audio Tube Zone...but unfortunately, I like my older 3-knob version better than the newer 6-knob one. Don't know if they're easy to find anymore...

The pedal does great high gain, cleans up nicely with the volume knob and has a great warm, tight chunka-chunka. Great definition with no muddiness at all.