recommend a humbucker for my strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jon71203, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

hey guys, looking to add a humbucker to my strat, in the bridge position. i don't know much about humbuckers, this'll be my first.

i'd love to have a humbucker with a chrome cover on it.....all recommendations are very much appreciated. point me in the right direction. as always, thanks a ton.

2. jon71203

let me know if you get any info on those MCP's

3. TonyD

TonyD Member

What kind of music do you play? I like Lollar mini-humbuckers or his Imperial low wind. Also check out WCR offerings- Crossroads, or maybe their Fillmore. Lots to choose from, just get what sounds good to you.

Consider that you may want to change your pot to 500K and the cap to .047

4. jon71203

those look sweet....i'd love to see what the Torque and the Angel Dust look like.

5. jon71203

at the moment i rarely, if ever use my strat in the bridge position. its just way too bright. i'm hoping the humbucker will warm things up a bit and give it a bit more growl. i play pretty standard rock stuff.

6. jon71203

on the motor city pickup site when they say single pickup they mean a single humbucker right? not a single coil

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

If you're looking for vintage output and tone, to match well with vintage output single coils in the middle and neck positions, and you want a good position 4 tone (middle + split bridge humbucker) I can recommend the Suhr DSV ... if you really want chrome covers then the Suhr SSV can be had with cover ... from the Suhr website "Go with the DSV for smoother highs or with the SSV for more honk and snarl"

I have the DSV in a Suhr Classic and it sounds great clean or overdriven, and sounds good when split, in combination with the middle pickup or by itself.

8. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

beat me to it....;) I think the DSV is a great pickup for a strat... actually I was just playing with my strat a few minutes ago and the DSV sounded fantastic... great classic rock tone but not overpowering like some humbuckers... very open sounding..

9. jon71203

thanks for the advice guys......keep em coming.
    anything i should be aware of going from a single coil to a humbucker?

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

Three things I'd keep in mind:
    1. As TonyD said, you might need to change your pots/caps to suit the humbucker.
    2. Make sure you get a humbucker with an output that'll match well with your single coils.
    3. If you're just dipping a toe in the water at the moment then maybe a single coil sized humbucker would be easier to install and revert back if you don't like it. I believe a Duncan 'lil '59 does a good job on the vintage output front and splits well ... no first-hand experience though so I'd ask people who do have that first.

11. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Replace the whole pickguard as a system with EMG-DG...David Gilmour set -up.

Then you have a whole new world of tone without routing out your Strat body.

12. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Yes, they do match well... I've got a Seymour Duncan "Little '59" in the bridge positions of both my Strat and my Tele... IMO, they totally kick ass - priced right, noiseless as hell, well made - plus they look good and give a superb tone (I don't want to throw rocks at any other pups, but let me just say that my "Little '59's" were replacements for replacements for replacements...) I really like 'em a lot.

13. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I have a Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge position of my Strat and I absolutely love it. It has a great strong mid tone output. I will do it again on my next Strat. Here's what it looks like... drops right in the single coil slot.

[​IMG]

14. jon71203

15. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

It's a "Partscaster." The Metal Shop body and neck. It's my number one.

16. jon71203

nice looking gibbyfan...........

are there any other pickups out there similar to what motor city is putting out????

thanks for the recommendations.

17. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I don't know. I have been a Seymour Duncan fan for some time so I have not researched other pup companies. I haven't felt the need to look beyond the JB Jr when it works so well for me.

18. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Another + for the Suhr DSV, great sounding pickup.

19. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

Someone recommeded a Duncan Seth Lover--any users out there to comment?

20. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I had Seth Lovers on my Hamer USA Artist. Amazing pups. Very PAF with a kick. They only come in Humbucker sizes and nickel or gold covered. They are great pups if you want that smooth creamy classic rock tone.