Recommend a humbucker pup for Tele neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Please... upgrades continue on the partscaster... GFS Tele Fatboy in bridge, getting ready to purchase an Acme Guitarworks or RS drop in kit for nice "innards", still need a humbucker for the neck. Nothing too awful expensive would be good... this is my #3 or 4 guitar.
    Thanks!

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

Im had a Duncan Jazz in a tele and it was amazing.

3. Gasp100

Quick question. Can a standard size humbucker just drop in there? Or does it need something special? Was the jazz good for blues, rock, "woman-tone" or just that really deep, bassy rolled of jazz vibe?

[​IMG]

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

The Fralin P-92 works so well in the neck of a Tele that its almost unbelievable!!!

5. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

+1 on the Duncan Jazz - it is going in my latest build.

6. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Mini Humbuckers balance well with Tele bridge pick-ups. I have a tele with a SD Firebird pup in the neck. Lollar mini humbucker's or SD Mini Humbucker antiquities are also worth looking at if you go this route.

7. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Personally I fins the Duncan Jazz to be a bit muddy. I prefer the Rio Grande BBQ bucker in the neck to work great in Telecasters. Jus my opinion.

8. eryque

eryque Member

Minibuckers are cool, but they're bright enough that they don't sound like buckers.

I use a Duncan '59 and really I love the way it sounds. It's really not muddy at all, and the output is low enough that it doesn't totally throw things out of whack. Since I use my humbucker mostly for leads, I keep it set up close to the strings for the extra output.

9. DamianL

DamianL Member

just fitted a bare knuckle VHII in mine and it sounds pretty sweet...

:AOK

D

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

A covered Suhr SSV is my favorite.

11. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

TV Jones Magna'tron. Worth the expense.

=-=-=-=-=

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a SD Vintage Minibucker in my chambered spruce top ash tele. It has a very clean, articulate tone - almost like a strat on 'roids. It balances well with the Jerry Donahue bridge for a funk sound. It also does higher gain stuff well to. What it doesn't do is give that smokey ES 335 neck sound even with EQing and farting around. It is just to clear and bright.

13. Gasp100

Thanks all, I compiled a list and I'm going to do some research. The guitar is in the shop right now. I wrestled with the neck as long as I could stand it and it's needs a pro's touch. If he can get it playing and sounding nice, I'll move forward with the electronics and the humbucker upgrade. If it's really great, I'll consider upgrading the bridge pup as well.
    If not, I'm putting the original neck back on and out the door it goes
    :munch

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

As lang as you have a GFS in the bridge spot, check out the GFS minihummers for the neck. They've got several varities, some of which are hotter and less bright than a std mini.

15. XKnight

XKnight Member

Seth Lover. Sounds awesome in my G&L Bluesboy.

16. Edmundo

Edmundo Supporting Member

Talk to Will Boggs. He'll fix you up.

WB pickups

17. unzari

unzari Member

I was considering getting one for my 67SPL in the neck (still has the stock FJ Dragstar hummer).

I'd be interested in knowing how the 92 sounds at different volume/tone levels, and in the middle position.

18. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I've had a VanZandt Truebucker in the neck of my partscaster for years - love it, nice and articulate - mostly a good, low output, "vintage" style PAF bucker will do the trick if your mating it with a trad Tele single coil bridge PUP. You didn't say if your bridge is a normal tele or is it a hotter wind? You just dont want the neck to get so hot that you cant get them balanced out with the amount of pickup height travel you have.

19. Gasp100

I think every GFS pup is wound pretty hot, but this one seems very thin and paper dry. I really don't feel like I'm getting the true sound of the bridge pup until the guts are replaced. The no name humbucker in the neck is pure mud, but actually sounds good with OD. Once again, I don't know if it's all the lame electronics or quite possibly a take on the vintage wiring scheme (isn't the true Tele wiring setup to dull the neck pup for back when bands played without a bass player or something.... I remember reading about that?).
    I have no idea what the bridge is made out of (or if it's even mounted correctly, seems a little off center ;(
    I should probably upgrade the bridge to steel with brass saddles, huh?
    I guess I'm leaning towards a mid-priced replacement right now until I hear if the tech can really fix the playability. If he can, I'll go full bore with new electronics/wiring, something nice like you are recommending in the neck and I'm very intrigued by a Harmonic Designs S90 (I think thats the model) in the bridge for tele-like cleans, but the ability to best open some rocking soul as well.
    This is either going to be a great player/looker or a bust... some nice mod'd Teles in the Emporium today BTW if anyone is looking.

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

So what happened? I'm looking for tele neck bucker options right now and am curious to read what other people are diggin' / not diggin' and why.

Thanks for any info,

Dave