recommend a humbucker to warm up my Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KidMagic, Jun 3, 2008.

1. KidMagic

KidMagic Member

I built a strat - maple neck, alder body. The current bridge humbucker is a WCR Darkburst. I like it, sounds amazing for bright clean tones, but it's just not big enough - also it's too bright for my primary use. I want way more mids and low end punch, and tone the highs down a bit. I primarily play overdriven guitar (not super distortion). I want that sort of juiced PAF thing, not the modern high output super distortion pups. Given all that, what would you suggest? :JAM

Thanks

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

First I would try a Alnico II mag in the Darkburst. That will probably warm it up quite a bit. The Darkburst is a amazing pickup. Also, the magnet change would be the least expensive alternative.

If that doesn't work... I had a 1959 'Reissue Les Paul that sounded bright and went through many pup changes. Then I got the Duncan "Custom Custom" Model and that made my Paul sound like a Paul.

Thick, meaty, and just sounded great. It certainly is the pickup that I would recommend for warming up and thickening any bright guitar.

Good luck!!!

3. Tuco

Tuco Member

I would recommend that you call and talk to Wolfe at Wolfetone. He's very accomodating and will wind to your spec. AND if you get it and don't like it, he'll rewind it until you do like it. BTW. it sounds like you'd like the Marshallhead.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary..sweetness :)

5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I'm using a DiMarzio Breed HB on an alder/trem EBMM Silhouette Special and I'm very happy with it. According to DM, it's specially designed for 25 1/2" scale trem bridge guitars. It's bright and hot, but mostly focused in the lows and low-mids, not in the least bit muddy, though.

6. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

7. KidMagic

KidMagic Member

funny, I actually have a marshall head bridge pup in one of my other builds and was thinking of switching them. It definitely has a warm and fat sound, but I wasn't sure if it was the pup, the big mahogany body (jazzmaster) or the shorter (25") scale of that guitar - probably all of the above.

Some of these others I've not heard of, so I'll definitely do a bit or research.

8. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

Dimarzio Air Zone... I use one with one of my maple neck strats... great medium output hard rock pickup ...nice crunch ...nice full low end ...nice harmonics

...love the thing

9. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

+1. The Alnico 2 magnet will soften the highs and fatten up the mids.

10. davya

davya Member

Yup! Try a Les Paul...

11. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have been interested int his pickup for an ebony boarded alder bodied gmx i have. But isnt the custom custom high output ( over 10 k ) as well?

Also I second Tuco on calling WOlfe. I have had Legends, have marshall heads on the way. Great guy, great customer service and if it is not to your liking he will correct.

12. JStizz

JStizz Member

i may get some flack for this, but the Gibson Burstbucker is a great "juiced PAF" style humbucker. i love it. a lot actually.

however, i do not have enough experience to know if the highs are softer.