Recommend a humbucker

redragon

Silver Supporting Member
Horrible question, I know, but let me explain...

I have a Dimarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge position of my super strat. I find that the pickup is opinionated in the EQ - lots of high mids. I think of the sound as "squeaky". Not always terrible and doesn't always bother me, depending on the rig.

However, I'm looking for a humbucker medium to higher gain, that has a flatter EQ and a broader, more open frequency range.

By description, this could be something like the Steve's Special, but I am not loyal to the brand and would love some suggestions.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
If you want to stick with Dimarzio, the 36th Anniversary gets a lot of love. Not high gain, but also won’t have that midrange peak you’ve described.

jazzkritter

Gold Supporting Member
+++ on the DiMarzio 36. Replaced an Ibanez Super58 on a MIJ Pat Metheny and I love the difference. As said above but it’s also somehow more fun to dig into.

Muz of Oz

Orpheus pickups in Melbourne make amazing custom pickups as well as his own line, and they’re really well priced against the likes of SD, etc and WAY under Gibson prices. Check them out on Facebook or online. I had two in a MH1000 LTD, and I just ordered a Jailbreak for an SG bridge.

jvin248

Lower the pickup and angle it to give more bass. Check out how Hendrix set his pickup (single coil) heights. He also benefited from having a reverse angle bridge pickup playing the righty lefty.

redragon

Silver Supporting Member
Lower the pickup and angle it to give more bass. Check out how Hendrix set his pickup (single coil) heights. He also benefited from having a reverse angle bridge pickup playing the righty lefty.
I would argue that pickups in that era were not manufactured to have an EQ bias like modern pickups. Evidence of this is the voluminous product lines that manufacturers maintain. The difference is all about EQ.

Guppie

I would consider Super Distortion a medium output pickup these days and it has a pretty full range sound. Although it has a lot of presence is it sounds very natural.

jaxjaxon

Guitar Maddness has wide verity at a low price's. From alnico II, V and VII. Under wound, over wound, standard wound. Cover, No cover.

Trending Topics