Recommend a Jazz Box around 2K

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CS'56, Feb 16, 2006.

1. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Th I know nothing about Jazz guitars. I have a friend that would like a Jazz box but really doesn't want to spend over 2K.
    Any recommendations?

2. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

If you dont want to spend that much money check out a Yamaha AES 1500, I got one with a Bigsby, for about a grand. Does all the jazz you could want, and still a great blues and rock machine. Stays in tune remarkably well even with the Bigsby, and came in a beautiful Orange flame top type finish. Just a great bang for the buck, and sounds unreal.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

You can get a used Gibson ES-175 for that much. In fact, you can probably get one from around the late 70s for that much, and I hear they were still pretty decent back then. The 175 is one of the quintessential jazz guitars. There are much better guitars out there, but this isn't a bad starter guitar for getting into straight ahead jazz.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1 on that. I just got a L-4, the spruce top version of that (vs. the ES-175 laminate top), but I demo'd the 175 and it sounded amazing as well. Also less prone to feedback and less sensitive to the elements, so it would make even more sense for gigging, etc. I see mint, used examples for the $2M range often. It's used by countless jazz pros. AC

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

PRP hollowbody II, the thin one. Awesome guitar for just about everything. I need to get one of these before too long.

6. corgiears

corgiears Member

Heritage H575 is a great guitar for that price range....

7. kiergtr

kiergtr Member

I second the L4-CES. Not the mahoganay but the solid spruce top with the maple sides and back. Hands down better than a 175. Although feedback can be an issue, I find that I don't play jazz loud enough (even in a trio for it to be an issue. The solid spruce top makes a big difference as it does on an acoustic guitar. You might have to spend a little over 2k but its worth it. Best jazz box in that price range.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

See, now I disagree with that, Harry. A spectacular guitar it is, but it really can't get that close to the true HB jazz tone that you get from, say, a L-4 or ES-175. The PRS has its own cool character, and sounds good for jazz, but not in the tradional vibe of the others. Great guitar, though. AC

9. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Try a Hamer Newport Pro. Spruce top hollow body Mahogany back and neck TOM bridge or the Newport Pro Custom Spruce top Mahogany body and Neck ebony fingerboard TOM bridge with a trapeze tailpiece. Both have SD Seth lover HB's Okay not your tradition Jazz box but they can live in that neighborhood.

10. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Mint Hamer Newport Pro for sale on TGP for $1,400.00 if you decide to go that way.

Thanks,

Jim

11. Eddie B.

Eddie B. Member

The Hofner Jazzica is also a good choice. I've seen some great ones at 1000 to 1500.00.

12. Robertito

Robertito Member

I played an ES-175 side-by-side with a Guild X170 Manhattan, and the Guild had better workmanship, better woods (by far!), and marginally nicer pickups (SD 59s). It has a block under the bridge to control feedback, and the price is much nicer than the Gibson. Just my thoughts on it; it might be worth checking out...

13. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

+1 on the Guild, I love my X-170

Sam

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

+1 on Guilds in general, i've got an X150d that smokes, great quality, great feel, great sound. they are still available at decent prices, even older models from the 60's & 70's. good luck on the hunt!

15. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

16. Swampash

Swampash Member

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ibanez George Benson.
    Ibanez Pat Metheny

18. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

The Ibanez Metheny's are great guitars for the money.

[​IMG]

19. T-bone

T-bone Member

Heritage 575 is a great choice and can be had for $1000 to $1400 used.

Guild CE100D if you can find one-I loved this guitar but the neck was too skinny/small and it screwed up my elbow/nerve everytime I played it.Still hurts to look at it:( [I[​IMG]MG][/IMG]