Recommend a Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenA, Nov 17, 2005.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

Been playing Fenders most of my life, but the wife wants to buy me a "Marshall" for my birthday. Wouldn't know a plexi from a taxi but...I like '80s metal, West, Trower, Akkerman, Frampton(with Humble Pie). The amp also needs to be reliable as I hate maintenance. Would like to know what to stay away from and is a 4 speaker cab essential.

Thanks a bunch,
    Steven

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

There are two I would recommend a 100 watt Plexi Handwired or a 18 watt Plexi Handwired. There are matching cabs for either both 4x12s but with different speakers. Pick your poison. :D

The other option which is the better financial choice but much more work is to buy a real deal Plexi from summer 69 and earlier. They are out there you have be patient and keep looking. ;)

3. Filter428

Filter428 Member

I'd say stay away from the JCM 900 series. Your best bang for the buck would be to find a good, clean, unabused late seventies-early eighties JMP. If you can find a clean JCM 800 that would be a good way to go, too. The HW (hand-wired) series are great amps, but expensive! Early, unaltered Plexi's are hard to find, not completely reliable, and you probably wouldn't want to take them out of your house too often. Finding a clean, original one takes some digging and they're not cheap! It all depends on how much you're looking to spend and what you're going to use the amp for.

If you're gigs aren't huge venues go for one with the master volume. There are plenty of master volume JMP's and JCM 800's out there. They're very common. Even the new DSL's are cool also. It all depends on what type of music you'll be using the amp for. For more of today's metal sound, the DSL's are the way to go. If you want a good classic rock tone, the JMP's and the JCM 800's are the ticket. You can use a JCM 800 for todays nu-metal also but chances are you'll need some type of od pedal in front of it. Like I said, it all depends on the music you're doing and the places you're playing at. Same goes with the speaker cabs, 4X12's or 2X12's. 2X12's are plenty loud for gigs and they're a little easier on your back! Of course, 4x12's look cool! But a 4X12 is not essential.

Also, 50 and 100 watters both sound great. A 50 watt amp will run a little hotter than a 100 watter when you crank it up and give you a nice tube sound. So if you want reliabilty and that classic rock-eighties metal sound, I'd say find a nice clean master volume JMP or JCM 800. Either way you won't go wrong. Hope this helps.

read the last paragraph here:
    http://www.legendarytones.com/marshall2b.htm

4. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Good Marshalls are down on ebay right now- I'd grab any pre 1980 marshall and hold on. They'll shoot back up like they always do.

You can get an early 70's for 800-1500 right now.

Steve

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I really like the new handwired series:
    1974X
    2061X

Both of these babies smoke!!!
    S.
    j

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

look for a JCM800! Great great amp for the buck. I scored a 1984 for $600.

7. retro

retro Member

8. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

How much do you want to spend and how loud do you want to go? I have never plugged into a JCM800, but everybody you mention either has used that amp or a nonmaster JMP50 or 100. You can do just fine with 2X12 bottom and some Celestions, but I don't think Marshalls sound right with a 1X12 for some reason.

All of those amps are available reasonably as used or you can buy any of them as Reissues as well, quite often in the $700 range. I regularly gig with a 31 year old Marshall JMP. Another choice would be a JTM45 which is about 30 watts if you don't need to be as loud. Some sort of pedal or attenuation is probably in the cards as well unless you're doing stadiums!

9. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I've played mostly Fenders too, for the last 25 years...Dr Z's the last 5. Still play Z's, but picked up a DSL 100 not too long ago for $650.00. It sounds real good, much better than I expected. Mostly running it into an open back cabinet loaded with Weber Blue/ Silver alnico's. I've found using the ultra gain channel with the boost off both volume and gain set at noon, I can use the guitar volume to go from a warm clip to some serious aggression...much like I do with the Z but with more gain on tap. And when volume is a problem it's nice having the master.[​IMG][/IMG]

10. pluto

pluto Member

For your needs, I would take a JMP or JCM 2203 or 2204, whether it be an older model or the reissue 2203x. DSL is a great amp, but people do complain about their reliability. As for a 4 speaker cab, they are not essential, but Marshalls just look funny on top of anything but a 4 speaker cab or even better, a full stack. I have a 2x12 Marshall and a 4x12 Marshall cab, and the only one that gets played is the 4x12.

11. Swarty

Swarty Member

Asking what Marshall is like asking what GM car. What is the price range and what features do you require?

12. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

When I'm lifting, it's this:

[​IMG]

When someone else is lifting, it's this:

[​IMG]

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Does one have to choose just one?

On top is the new Marshall 1959 Hand Wired Super Lead

Below it is a JCM 800 2203X reissue.

And in the bottom photo is the Balls M-18 2X12 Combo cant beat it with a stick but if ya could itd sound good. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And more photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Shea

Shea Member

Steven:

You've gotten a handful of recommendations that may sound like they're talking about different amps, but are really different names for the same amp -- or almost the same.

They're all talking about a certain design of master volume amp that Marshall made from the mid 70s through the 80s.

First they were called JMPs. Then in the 80s they were called JCM800s. The JCM800s were very similar to the master volume JMPs. The circuit stayed almost identical, but there were some cosmetic changes and I think Marshall raised the plate voltages when they switched to the JCM800 designation.

These amps (master volume JMPs and first generation of JCM800s) used two circuit numbers: 2204 for 50-watters, and 2203 for 100-watters. (There were other numbers used for the combo versions, but ignore those).

When someone refers to a master volume JMP, that's to distinguish it from a 4-input, non-master-volume JMP. Because both types of amps were called JMPs, you see. But all the JCM800s were master volume amps, so nobody says "master volume JCM800."

However, in the late 80s or early 90s, Marshall completely changed the circuit for the JCM800, turning it into a totally different amp, with channel switching and diode clipping distortion. So sometimes people will refer to a 2203 JCM800 or 2204 JCM800, to distinguish it from the later, channel-switching version. Or they might call it an early-80s JCM800.

Marshall now makes a reissue of the 2203 JCM800.

So, a 50-watt, master-volume JMP is very similar to a 50-watt, early-80s JCM800, and they're both 2204s.

And a 100-watt, master-volume JMP is very similar to a 100-watt, early-80s JCM800, and they're both 2203s. There's a reissue model available.

You've gotten a lot of recommendations to get one of those amps, and I'd agree.

BTW, those are NOT plexis, in case you're wondering.

Shea

15. Filter428

Filter428 Member

When someone refers to a master volume JMP, that's to distinguish it from a 4-input, non-master-volume JMP. Because both types of amps were called JMPs, you see. But all the JCM800s were master volume amps, so nobody says "master volume JCM800."

This is incorrect. Marshall put out a four-input JCM 800 that had a 1959 model designation.

16. pluto

pluto Member

What's funny is that I hardly ever see any used JCM800 superleads anywhere. Where the hell are they??? Or did Marshall not make too much of these? When I read that Michael Doyle favors the JCM800 superleads even above the plexis, I've been looking for them and probably have seen only a handful the past two years on the net.

17. Shea

Shea Member

I had no idea. I've never seen one.

But my point was this: when someone says "JCM800," you can be 99.9% sure that they're referring to a master-volume amp. And you hardly ever hear anyone specify a "master-volume JCM800," because most people would consider that redundant.

Shea

18. Filter428

Filter428 Member

I kid you not!
    You'll find them on ebay every now and then. It's also John Sykes' amp of choice when he plays live. I had one. Like an idiot, I sold it. But there's a pic of what I currently have at the top of this page. It's not redundant to specify a "master volume" JCM 800. There are plenty of 1959 JCM 800's out there. You just have to find them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7356227960&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7343702187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7357458521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

19. pluto

pluto Member

Interesting-I recall seeing only 1 JCM800 superlead on ebay. I've found the others using gbase. How do the JCM800 superleads compare to the other superleads, i.e., plexis, metal panels, reissues, etc.? BTW-I always thought John Sykes' favored Jose modded Marshalls as opposed to stock Marshalls?