Recommend a MARSHALL???......

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
The answer for all things Marshall is JCM 800 2204
Yes everyone should have one of these in their arsenal in case you have to do an outside concert with out miking your amp. But where else are you going to use it. I have one in the form of a 1981 JMP 2104 combo with 2x12 G12-65 speakers. It's a must have amp just to try out once in a while for a short run. The amp that I have that gets quite close to that sound dialed way down to about a tenth of a watt is my Stephenson 30 with power scaling, that's the amp I use all the time.

sickboy79

72-81 era metal face 1987 or 1959, 76-81 JM P 2204/03 or JCM 800 version. Any would be amazing.

If you want to venture into boutique land - I can't recommend the Top Hat Emplexador enough. Serioiusly the BEST non-Marshall "Marshall" style amp I've ever played or heard. Plexi to hot rodded tones galore and takes pedals so well. Fantastic master volume too!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
72-81 era metal face 1987 or 1959, 76-81 JM P 2204/03 or JCM 800 version. Any would be amazing.

If you want to venture into boutique land - I can't recommend the Top Hat Emplexador enough. Serioiusly the BEST non-Marshall "Marshall" style amp I've ever played or heard. Plexi to hot rodded tones galore and takes pedals so well. Fantastic master volume too!

I fear the single channel however. Tough when playing covers and you need instant clean tone with chorus.

Plus, I think there are cheaper options that are just as good! Voodoo Amps V-Plex for example.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
What is your budget and your application? What kind of music do you play?

I personally do not care for the vintage amps that much because they are single channel and I like to have 2 channels. IF you are a single channel guy then the '80s (JCM800) 2204 head with the vertical inputs is regarded as the creme. A '70s Super Lead is also nice but costs a lot more.

Be careful of the 2205 (circa late 80s) - they are 2-channel JCM800s but have diode clipping. However, if setup and maintained correctly, they can sound great. If you get one though, come back here and ask how to dial it in, it is a very tricky amp.

Of them all, I think the original DSL series is the best - a DSL100 is a great sounding head. It has plenty of bass, a creamy tone and a nice effects loop.

I have the DSL 40C that just came out, but I just noticed the speaker appears to be neodymium - not a great sounding tone for guitar in my opinion, but I happened to have a vintage 30 laying around so I put that in and I like it a lot better. Otherwise these are very affordable and versatile amps with good effects loops.

The NEW DSL 40C comes with EL34s, not EL84s like the original DSL401. So, it is much beefier and sounds better, but I would put in a different speaker.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Basically the same as a 2203? Is the 2204 a single channel?

Yes, both are single channel. The 2205 was the first 2-channel Marshall. These amps sound good, but they have some very odd circuitry that you have to dial in just right.

here is the thing, the clean channel bleeds into the dirty channel in a really bad way.

You probably now that on many two-channel amps the key to getting sustain is to crank up the volume knob on the lead channel output but then turn the amp's master volume down to listening level.

Don't do that. Turn the gain up (as desired) but keep the volume pots on both channel as low as possible. Then boost the main volume as much as you can. That way the two channels do not bleed into each other.

ignatzmouse

Silver Jubilee 2555 is the only 100W Marshall i've owned, is great, covers all the requirements of the OP (Effects loop etc)
2 Channels but shared EQ, there are apparently ways to configure this utilising the FXloop..
Ceriatone apparently make a good copy.
Good luck with your Marshall search

mike361

Love my new used jvm410. I don't know why it is not loved here, it is so friggin awesome. The 2 master volumes work so good. I can actually play it so that it sounds good without the neighbors complaining. 12 different sounds from great cleans to the hottest metal. And all the classics in the middle. I could have got by with the 2 channel but the price was to good to pass on. I am not trying to say it is the best Marshall ever but sounds darn good. I am still getting used to it but so far it has a tone for strats, Tele, and my LP traditional. They all sound great. I even tried the red channel today playing lead and in a band setting it cuts right through. Alone I didn't care for it, but man in the mix... I love this amp. I would definitely check out the Jvm/jsm, they are modern amps but from what I have been reading lately, their is a ton of mods for these that seem easy to do if wanted. The choke mod on a taper pot makes it sag more like the classic Marshall's. Then you can go back to the tighter stock version or somewhere in between. Costs about 100$ or 12$ if you do it yourself. This is on my to do list.

Last edited:

daa2202

Silver Supporting Member
Take a look at the YJM100. Classic Plexi tone, built-in boost, reverb, and noise gate (all of which work very well), switchable to 50 watts, and with built-in power scaling that can take it down to 1/10 of a watt while maintaining tone. It's a great modernized Marshall.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Take a look at the YJM100. Classic Plexi tone, built-in boost, reverb, and noise gate (all of which work very well), switchable to 50 watts, and with built-in power scaling that can take it down to 1/10 of a watt while maintaining tone. It's a great modernized Marshall.

I checked it out but I thought the JVM410HJS was better!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Forget channel switchers, you have that covered and would prob regret any modern Marshall offering by comparison.

Go classic, warts and all.

1. Well serviced JCM-800 master volume, totally stock and not modified. Use pedals and your guitar volume control.
Whenever I do a fly in gig with rental gear, I pray for a stock JCM-800.

2. A classic original well serviced Plexi, not a clone. It's just a nice feeling owning a good original one, but forget loops and channel switching, this is the real deal Marshall experience that separates the real fans from the wannabes !! My weakness is a 1967 JTM-50 with EL34's and GZ-34 rectifier. Perfect pedal platform when you can't crank it up.

This is not a bad idea, but without a loop, how do I run a delay and a solo boost. Right now I use a modified Boss EQ for leads.

Which JCM 800 master volume? Is that a 2203?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
This is not a bad idea, but without a loop, how do I run a delay and a solo boost. Right now I use a modified Boss EQ for leads.

mysticaxe

Silver Supporting Member
The 2205/2210 (50w and 100w channel switchers) had channel bleed issues, but that was corrected in a redesign in the mid 80s. I had an '87 2205 and an '84 2204. I kept the 2204. The 2205 doesn't really have a clean, it's "normal" (which is similar to a thinner 2204) and "lead" channel (adds more clipping to bring the brewtalz). For my applications, the 2204 was better.

That being said, I'm typically playing on my SigX these days and use the Marshall occasionally as a change of flavor.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Forget channel switchers, you have that covered and would prob regret any modern Marshall offering by comparison.

Go classic, warts and all.

1. Well serviced JCM-800 master volume, totally stock and not modified. Use pedals and your guitar volume control.
Whenever I do a fly in gig with rental gear, I pray for a stock JCM-800.

2. A classic original well serviced Plexi, not a clone. It's just a nice feeling owning a good original one, but forget loops and channel switching, this is the real deal Marshall experience that separates the real fans from the wannabes !! My weakness is a 1967 JTM-50 with EL34's and GZ-34 rectifier. Perfect pedal platform when you can't crank it up.

What is I compromis and get a Mesa Electra Dyne? JCM 800s sound too bright and too 80s to my ears. I think I prefer a JCM 900 over any 800. My buddy who has a room filled with every Marshall you can imagine, mostly plays hiw JCM900 4100.

I think most JCM900s sound better than a JCM800 and better than a DSL or TSL, I even think the 900 amps sound better than the JVM series! The only JVM that is good to me is the Satriani model!

London Calling

Seriously mate, I've played & owned more Marshall and Marshall wannabes than I care to remember and the JVM410JS pretty much slays them all !

gibson560

I picked up a early Marshall super lead. Early 90s. When I was younger I had 3 of them and I believe the reissue (no loop) is a great amp. Sounds like my early plexi rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB6464

2203X
Reissue Marshall 2203 with a loop .

Trending Topics

Top Bottom