Recommend a microphone to record the house mix

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Michael_V, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Our church has been recording our worship services directly from the PA, but this method loses the "house." We would like to start miking the room and then mixing that in to try to recapture that. What kind of microphone would you guys recommend? And please not too expensive, as this church is just getting started and doesn't have a huge budget.

Thanks!

2. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Whatever you end up with, I would recommend using a stereo pair, a stereo mic etc. Even (especially) if your board mix is mono (depending on your routing options, you could record a stereo mix and still run your PA mono), recording in stereo will sound much better.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

If low cost is important... A couple of condensers would do the trick...

We have a pair of these we throw up for overheads when we don't want to use the $700+ overheads... (When running sound for other acts that we don't trust.) Amazing little microphones for the $.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ser-mic--buy-one-get-one-free/271324000000000

And it's Buy one Get one Free right now... they sound quite nice actually, in fact we've almost stopped using the really expensive mics for our own shows that last few months and just keep using these.

4. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

I just got a couple of these and they are amazing. Love them on acoustic guitar.

5. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

Zoom H2 works great

6. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

7. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

if sound quality is a requirement, find yourselves a pair of AKG 460's. they are your best bet for a ruler flat condenser mic.

8. 3dognate

They don't make 460s anymore... and the next model the C480 is like a $1000+ microphone... He did ask for "not too expensive" Even the C571 is like $580 bucks. I gathered that we're on a small church budget and not equipping a studio or prepping for a U.S. tour.

The Little Blondie's or the CAD I posted are very good sounding mics on a budget... They might not beat a 480 in a full on cork sniffing contest... but they'll do a really good job despite the price discrepancy.

9. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Shure VP88 stereo/MS mic
    Really hard to beat for realistic sounding stereo recordings. Makes a nice drum overhead too. I often use it for capturing a cappella singers in a semi-circle or small orchestral ensembles.

10. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Thanks everyone! I picked up a pair of CAD CM217 (BOGO!) for $59. :)

11. 3dognate

Be sure to report back what your impression is of these when you get them... I suspect you will be more than impressed with the recordings you make with them.

12. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

I was going to suggest a couple of condensers that can run on their own batteries (cool when you want to go straight into something that doesn't have phantom power)

Audio Technica MB4000 (have seen these as low as $50 ea.)

and

AKG C1000 if you have a little more budget. (occasionally see these for $129)

13. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

correct, the 460's are out of production, but there are plenty of them available on the used market, in the sub $400 range. they are pretty much the industry standard in pencil-type condenser mics, and they are almost impossible to beat, as far as cost/sound quality goes. and, in my opinion, $500 is not "too expensive" for a good microphone. you mileage and definition may vary.

14. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i always find it amusing that guys will spend $1500 on a nice strat, and another $1000 for a nice sounding amp, then cheap out and buy $50 microphones to record them. to each his own, i suppose, it just seems bass ackwards to me.

15. 3dognate

It's easy to offer a high end recommendation though. When it comes to Microphones though... there are some very high performing microphones on the market for chump change. This is one area that personal experience can really turn up some nice gems.

We have a really nice AKG C414 XLS matched pair that we love to use live and for recording. But $2000+ worth of mics is tough to recommend when someone says "limited budget". Now, on a recommendation from another trusted ear, we gave those little CAD mics a try since they were so inexpensive they were recommended when we stated that we wanted a cheap overhead for IEM Ambient mics... and they do a really good job for ambient use and sound great for drum overheads. I'd not record a new CD with the CAD by any means because we do have several higher end alternatives on hand, but for the OP's needs I betcha they are a perfect choice for the specific budget and performance needs. The C414s have been staying in the case.

Ii would have given a different mic recommendation if the OP's question had been geared toward studio or broadcast. But mics for recording weekly cassettes/cds for homebounds that get listened to once (if at all)...

16. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

For years I was a CAD dealer, and even back then I wouldn't even recommend their mics. They do make a couple half decent higher end mics, but in general, CAD's are junk! I've had some GLX series mics come in non-functioning straight out of the box. The GXL1200 pencil-type condenser sells new for $80 or so. I remember them being on sale to dealers on more than one occasion for a dozen of them for $80! We'd buy them for churches that didn't have any money, but needed a condenser mic or two for the choir. They literally cost me $6 or $7 each. You don't have to take my word for it, but I have no reason to tell you anything but the truth about their mics. Junk junk junk.

Mics are arguably the most important part of the recording chain.....mics are not the place to cheap out. Just my 2 cents.

17. 3dognate

You know what... I totally agree. These are the first CAD mics I've thought wasn't garbage. I've probably dealt with too many broke churches to be optimistic about any but the mega churches having a dime to spend. Glad I'm not in music retail anymore.

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i have three of the mb4000s. incredible bang for the buck.