Recommend a pair of headphones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dana, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Dana

Dana Guest

I need a new pair of headphones. Not looking for anything super special. What can you recommend that isn't too expensive. Not concerned with wireless.

Thanks,

Dana

2. himey77

himey77 Member

What is your budget?

What will they be used for? (recording, listening)

3. Dana

Dana Guest

Need them for transcribing solos, and probably some home recording and practice. Max $50

I may just hit Radio Shack, but would be interested if anyone has any other suggestions.

4. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

www.head-fi.com

They're as crazy as we are, but about headphones.

And they'll probably agree that if you're going to spend $50 on a pair of generic cans, you owe it to yourself to plop down an extra twenty for the Grado SR 60. King of the sub-$100 phones. Seriously.

5. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Grado.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Probably crazier!

Though I like the SR60s, if you're going to do recording and need any kind of isolation, forget about the Grados. Up your budget slightly and get some Sony V6 or 7506.

7. asdf

asdf Member

Another vote for the grados- I have the sr-80s myself but have heard the sr-60s and think they are very nice. Definitely the best headphones in your price range.

8. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I'd recommend you at least try the V6's, but they are in the $70 range.

9. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I'm a headphone fanatic (and I dig head-fi.org)! IMO, the best place to shop for headphones online is HeadRoom.

Their recommendations have been spot-on for me. Based on that I would try the Koss Porta Pro ($49.95) or Sennheiser PX100 ($49.99) to maintain my budget. However, I can say that I've tried the Grado SR60 and they rock for the price. With me, they were a tad uncomfortable for extended periods.

Are you looking for a more laid back (typically Sennheiser) or analytical sound (typically Grado and AKG)? Is masking external noises or keeping quiet for others important (consider in-ear-monitor or closed headphones). Check out the AKG K 701 if you want to hear my new favorites.

10. bluedean

bluedean Supporting Member

+1 on the Sony V6 or 7506. They are the same phones with different cosmetics. I've had mine (7506) for years. They sound GREAT and don't need a headphone amp to perform well like many better headphones. I understand that it is somewhat of an industry standard for mixing recordings. Headwize.com is my favorite headphone site, but the others are good too. There are many fanatics at these headphones sites - with major GAS. I guess because they enable the listener to have excellent fidelity and crank the volume without disturbing others.

11. placebo62

placebo62 Supporting Member

12. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Damn!
    I wish that I hadn't seen that!

13. smilefan

smilefan Member

I use Sennheiser PX100 for my IPOD. Super light and small, they are
    well tuned for extended listening. Very musical. Plus they are exactly
    in your budget ($50). You can get them at any Apple store.

14. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I know what you mean! Sorry to have been a contributing factor to your newfound GAS.

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Are there any headphones that can take an uncompressed guitar amp "headphone out" output without blowing?

I have a pair of Sonys that sounded great until I started practicing through them late at night and now they buzz whenever I play through them.

Are there any headphones can really take the power without blowing?

stratzrus

16. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Yikes! I'd be very careful about listening to anything that loud through headphones. It is very easy to permanently damage your hearing with headphones.

I've never blown the drivers in a pair of headphones. So, I can't comment if one is better than another from that standpoint.

17. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I have AKGs.. they're nice!

18. himey77

himey77 Member

This is a VERY understated point:

"The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has warned music fans against potential hearing damage caused by headphones as portable players become more popular.

The 60-year-old said studio headphones caused his hearing problems, rather than playing loudly on stage. "

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Relax fellas...

I don't play that loudly throught the headphones, but I've found that an uncompressed signal can blow them pretty easily, the same way that I blew a pair of Advent speakers when forgetting to switch them out of the signal chain when recording a digital keyboard. I assume that the uncompressed bottom end causes the drivers to over extend resulting in blowing them.

After seeing Hendrix live 50 feet from the stage at Temple Stadium in Philly my ears rang for four hours. Target practice with a .45 in Vermont and late night jamming with a JCM 800 stack in my bedroom also took their toll, but so far, no headphone provoked ear damage.

I blew the headphones at moderately high levels, but nothing near a volume that would have caused my ears to ring. I just don't want to blow another set of $100 phones.

stratzrus