Recommend a Pedal for a Saturated Lead Tone

dwk302

I've been looking for a pedal that can give me a lush saturated lead tone. I have a Marshall YJM, which is essentially a one channel Plexi - the pedal will have to play nice with a Plexi.

Don't get me wrong, I love how it sounds but, once in a while, I just want a soaked lead (EDIT: with low compression) sound that my current pedals (EP Booster, P19, Plimsoul) are not giving me.

Last edited:

spakuloid

White face RI RAT. Made for Marshalls. Liquid lead with the gain at about 11:00 and tone rolled off a bit (2:00).

Fulldrive-1

WF Rat rules for saturated lead tone. Warning: sound is only so-so at bedroom levels. Crank that Marshall a bit and it's groovy.

Or for less gain but more playing dynamics, pick up a Pinnacle.

vibrostrat43

Hmm, there are probably plenty of overdrives/distortions that could get you there if you get your amp's volume up enough. My vote for "liquid" without going overboard on Marshallyness would be a Barber Small Fry, or another similar Dumble-esque pedal (not that the Small Fry is strictly Dumble-y).

Also, my Bearfoot SYOD1 sounds very liquidy into my Bassman when I'm using a Les Paul even at low volumes and is a fairly open and dynamic pedal.

Han Solo

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on the Small Fry. It can do alot, and getting a nice saturated lead tone is really easy to dial in.

Second choice for me would be a (boosted) Maxon 808.

Swjake83

Hipkitty Java Distortion, in the lead channel mode. The rhythm channel has an awesome grind to it but the lead is epic. And I only have gain around 11.

Vertizontal

For leads I've been loving my Bogner Red Ecstasy into a plexi set clean, big and loud. A perfect complimentary tone to the traditional Marshall crunch rhythm sound.

B e n

try putting your EP booster (at least 1/2 way cranked) in FRONT of any OD/dist (gain cranked and level set to taste)
I do this with an MI Audio Crunchbox paired with a booster in an FX loop, leave'em on and stomp the loop switch when I want'em
Doesn't have to be a booster either, any OD set low gain/high level before another OD/dist will work.
Warning: its noisy when you stop playing, but you can hold a note infinitely so there's really no need to ever stop playing! ;)

1. Do you want a Fuzz or a Distortion? There's a big difference when you're playing lead.

FWIW, if distortion is your bag, WFRI Rat and Barber Small Fry are bother killer options.

Who are some players you sound like, or want to sound like?

If you're a Gilmour Fanatic, you might want a SUF Ram's Head Muff or a Skreddy Lunar Module.

dwk302

try putting your EP booster (at least 1/2 way cranked) in FRONT of any OD/dist (gain cranked and level set to taste)
I do this with an MI Audio Crunchbox paired with a booster in an FX loop, leave'em on and stomp the loop switch when I want'em

Clever. I'll try that. I didn't even know you can run booster/OD in the FX loop. Could that harm the amp?

1. Do you want a Fuzz or a Distortion? There's a big difference when you're playing lead.

FWIW, if distortion is your bag, WFRI Rat and Barber Small Fry are bother killer options.

Who are some players you sound like, or want to sound like?

If you're a Gilmour Fanatic, you might want a SUF Ram's Head Muff or a Skreddy Lunar Module.

I'm looking for a drenched "liquidy" lead tone with little compression. I guess that would be best way to describe it. I love fuzz, but I haven't found one that plays well with humbuckers and a single channel plexi type amp. My P19 sounds a bit muffled with humbuckers through the YJM, so I think my options are limited to distortion. I love Gilmour, but I'm not sure his sound is achievable with my gear (?)

Last edited:

Top Bottom