Recommend a pedal for "country grit" on a Peavey Classic 50

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrsmiles, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jrsmiles

jrsmiles Supporting Member

I just picked up a Peavey Classic 50 212 and will be attempting to do it all. I play a lot of the 90's country sound, like Brent Mason stuff on Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, etc...

I'm pretty certain that is a pushed Fender sound, may or may not have pedals involved.

Basically I'm looking for an OD or boost pedal that can emulate that drive and give me that snappy, punchy slightly driven sound.

I also have a Peavey Vypyr 30 practice amp, and I actually have a pretty good sound dialed in on the clean Blackface model, with a soft Tube Screamer drive.

I'm not sure how close I can get with the el-84 tube sound. I used to run a Bad Cat 30R with a Fulldrive and got somewhat close, but had a little more "chime" that I had to dial out.

Bottom line, any OD/Boost suggestion to get me close to a country spank sound on a Classic 50?

Thanks...

2. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

Wampler Black 65 or Ecstacy

3. modernp

modernp Member

You can definitely get a good overdriven sound out of that amp. Never cared for the stock speakers tho. Up graded them to a couple of ev's and it just shined. Was pushing the front side with an 808 also.

4. jrsmiles

I figure I'll play it for a while as is then start swapping speakers and tubes if I'm unhappy.

I've been out of the pedal scene for a while but I'm seeing Wampler is one of the "new hotness" in the business.

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Good question to ask yourself first is where the vol knob will be set on your amp for most of the time - if you're playing at bedroom levels, the pedal choice might be different than if you'll be pushing the amp into slight breakup before the pedal is turned on.

That being said and keeping it in the Wampler vein, I love love love the Hotwired BM signature pedal. For slighter grit and lean muscle-y country drive stuff it's incredible - Ford Thurston does a great demo of it on YouTube - type in " Wampler Hotwired ford Thurston" and you'll find it - key to that pedal is it shines the brightest when the amp is set at a slight breakup, not pure clean. If playing clean, thumbs up to the Ecstacy in my experience!

6. jrsmiles

This will be used in gig/jam situations. This Classic 50 gets pretty loud without break up as far as I can tell, so I don't think I'll be pushing too hard, though it is a master volume so I have that option.

I've been researching the Hot Wired since I posted, and I like what I see, basically two in one. It'd be nice to have the option of additional gain on tap for a dirtier tone without much adjustment. Price wise, the Hot Wired is $75 away from the Black 65.

I'm wondering how the OD of the Hot Wired compares to the Black 65. I like the idea of the Black 65 being based around that Fender sound.

I want to keep in mind too, this Classic 50 might not be the amp I keep forever, so I'm kind of shopping pedals on their own too.

7. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

Analogman modded Boss Bd-2 is incredible on the Peavey Classic series amps.

8. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

you should crank that master and adjust post and pre to taste. You can get some nice break-up and still have punch and clarity :hiP

9. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

Orange Squeezer? The Analogman one is great

10. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Durham Audio Sex Drive
    Skreddy Screwdriver
    Xotic RC Booster
    Field Effects Manifold Drive
    Way Huge Red Llama

11. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

menatone red snapper would excel - push it with a sex drive for extra gain

12. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Visual Sound Open Road is great for country-style grit... or a Wampler Paisley Drive- Wampler seems to be the go-to guys for country-related drive pedals