Recommend A Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndyFender, Feb 5, 2008.

1. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

I am looking into adding a Phaser to my pedal board. What are some good recommendations?

Thanks,

2. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

I actually really love both the mxr phase 90 and the Eh small stone. very nice sound for cheapo pedals. ....but I am lame and have poor taste in gear so..... just kidding....no.... I really am lame..... and .... crap.

they sound great...... check em out...... :crazy

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

My faves in the following groups were:

Shimmery / Vibeish / Etherial / Swirling = Red Witch Moon Phase
    Chewy / Thick / Vintage / Yoy-Yoy = Maxon PH-350
    Slight distorting / Bubbly / Super Organic = Shannon Phaser

Check my sig for the other phasers I've owned recently for reference (Retro-Sonic, DNA, H.B.E. Psilo, etc.)

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

MXR just released a 'script' phase 90...it can be ordered true bypass with a led indicator.
    I just got one and am diggin it

5. jb1911

jb1911 Member

6. brianf

brianf Member

I just picked this HBE up and although I have not tested it yet at higher volumes I am very pleased at home volume. I had been using a Boss PH3 which basically does it all but this new one just has a very smooth tone to it.

I also purchsed the MXR Phase 100 at the same time and I'll tell you for the money it got the thumbs up but had a bit more noise. Not much but it was noticable. I'm taking it back.

Anyway that's the story.

[​IMG]

brianf

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1 on the HBE Psilocybe. Very versatile.

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Maxon PH 350:AOK

9. reeced

reeced Member

Effectrode PhaseOMatic - not cheap, but this is one pedal where you get what you paid for.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Bro, it really depends on what kind of tones you're looking for.

I've got 2 phase pedals on my board now, the Red Witch Moonphase for the subtle swirly psuedo vibe stuff which is simply amazing for clean tones.
    And the Moog 12 stage phase which can give out really aggressive phase sounds.

11. Mantis

Mantis Member

I went on a quest for a phaser a few years ago. This is what I ended up with.......................

[​IMG]

You can get them on ebay 75-100 dollars. I spent a lot more on mine, but it is the best dang phaser I have heard! It is sooooooooo dEEp with bottom end, I love it. Plus you can change the controls with your feet.

12. puls

puls Member

I really like the Quasar from Subdecay. Don't be intimidated by all the knobs, it's hard (maybe impossible) to get a bad sound out of it. It always sounds good w/ my rig.

jwp

13. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

the red witch deluxe moon phaser is the bomb.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

meh
    Can't do what the PH-350 does though.
    But it is pricey and shiny. I took my name of the list for those shortly after they came out and haven't regretted it.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

but you haven't played one...have you? :confused:
    fyi, Ed just came out with a mod that makes it "chewy-er"...
    I for one, didn't care much for the PH-350 when I played it, so I guess to each his own, eh?

17. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

have a ehx small stone and am really enjoying it!

18. dB

dB Member

The new Mad Professor sounds great...they're supposed to be available this month.

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

And that's exactly the point - you can't pull a "/thread" just because it's an Toneczar... so, "to each his own" indeed. That would be like me posting a pic of the BBOD or EGDM for an OD thread and saying, "/thread"... because IMO those pedals sound not so great (really didn't like the BBOD), even though they're hard to get and expensive.

Granted, I haven't played a Halophase and chose not to because of the reviews and clips. It's the same reason why I won't buy a Phasebreaker II. Anyway, I think the point was to recommend a pedal based on its merits, not just spout out a name or a picture and move on.

I respect that you're a young and thereby non-jaded player who was lucky enough to come into a lot of money (even thought the circumstances were unfortunate) and was therefore able to try a ton of gear in a very short period of time. ****, I wish I was in that position after I was only playing for a few months. But that gives you some compare and contrast viewpoints that would be more valuable I think than just a pic or name of something.

That said, I'm also a huge hypocrite and will often post pictures and no description in threads ;) ... but that's because I don't think anyone listens to me anyway :D

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The MXR CS-handwired '74 Phase 90 Reissue is killer. Just a rich, usable phase that sounds great anywhere the knob is.