Recommend a PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nolenuttt, Jul 27, 2008.

1. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

I'm a newbie when it comes to PRS guitars-Always played Pauls and strats-I picked up and played one for a few minutes yesterday-Beautiful instrument-I do classic rock and blues, but also like harder stuff-Three Doors Down, etc-Which prs would you recommend? Pickup selection? I really liked the wide/fat neck option-Anyway, All suggestions are appreciated-Thanks!!

2. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Try out the new McCarty II. I haven't played one myself yet, but I do own the old "original" McCarty. Great guitar, very versatile. I imagine that with the new master voice control on the McCarty II that it's even more versatile.

You might also want to try out the Mira. Very cool guitar. Though it doesn't have the W/F neck carve.

Hope it helps.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The SC245 does it for me. I have owned a Custom 24, Singlecut, Santana 1 and a McCarty.

All were great!!! I'm just most comfy with my SC245, although I still own the McCarty as well. (it has gone through some major mods though;))

Hence my avatar...

4. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I just got an SC 245 and it is outstanding in every way.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

What did you guys pay for your SC245s? Ballpark or?

jon

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

IMO, the CE22 is a good choice given your criteria. The maple neck gives a little extra snap that works well under modern high gain. Best of all, it comes at a price point that will probably surprise you.

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I never owned a PRS but if I was going to get one I would be looking at the David Grissom Trem model (same one wichita mentioned).

9. wilerty

wilerty Member

It's starting to sound like a broken record here, but my new SC245 is just outstanding, and I have bought six different PRSs in the last two years. That is the one PRS I would recommend that anyone try.

That being said, there is no "PRS" sound ... there are many sounds. The DGT, SAS, Hiland, SC250, CU22, Hollowbody, etc, etc are all great guitars ... but each sounds different.

Try as many of them as you can. Just don't buy one until you have tried an SC245. There is a reason that model has been mentioned so many times already.

10. scottpic

scottpic Member

I grew up on Les Pauls.

I started taking lessons with a rental Fender strat that was in good condition circa 1977. Played it for 6 months then got my first new LP.

When I got my first Les Paul, I instantly felt a quality in the guitar that the fender was missing. The Les Paul just felt right.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same thing that I did?

I played LP's for the next 15 years, then Charvel & Jackson.

Then a MIM Fender Strat for 6+ years.

Started a new band,
    Wanted to do the acoustic / electric thing & went with a Parker Nite Fly.

After a few 1.5 years with the Fly I bought a PRS HollowBody I with the piezo option.

The PRS has been the absolute BEST guitar I have owned. I practice with it & play it live every week for an audience of 300. Have been doing that with the guitar for 6 years now. I paid $2400 for it then, worth every penny!

11. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

12. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Since I kinda have the same needs/wants as you.....Let me give you a little advice.

ANY OF THEM!!!!!!

Seriously...I play in a "Classic Rock" cover band 35 weekends + a year, but my taste have always been a little "Heavier" as far guitar tones. I really grew up a late 70's/80's Metalhead....ie... Maiden... Priest....UFO.... Thin Lizzy..... Scorps....etc... IMHO PRS guiatsr are the best blend of all the guitar tones no matter which PRS you pick up. Some do specific tones better than others, but you will never show up to a "Gunfight" without bullets. So....IMHO play as many as you can and you decide which one you have to have. I personally have 8 sitting in my studio with another in the mail and another on order. I have probably owned over 20+ since 2002 and still haven't had a bad one. My personal favorite.......My 1-OFF 20th Aniv. Singlecut....... It does all things great. The others are just as outstanding as well.

[​IMG]

The others......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry....I like White! ....but I have colored ones also!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only one that doesn't get gig'd !!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Matt F

Matt F Member

14. Dearthian

Dearthian Member

I have a Satin Singlecut Artist with Trem and can say I really dig anything from the Singlecut line. I did swap out the stock pickups for a WCR Godwood/Darkburst combo. Maintained the things I liked about my Singlecut, but improved low end clarity, further improved the harmonics (and they were already awesome) and the neck tone is delicious.

15. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

16. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I d go for a private stock McCarty or Single cut with Brazilian Rosewood board.

17. MarkBuckingham

MarkBuckingham Member

I'm really happy with my CE24. I generally haven't liked how the necks on most PRSi feel, but the CE24 has a thinner neck that's more comfortable to me.