• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

recommend a rock solo for a blues fan

thesweetness

Silver Supporting Member
I need to transcribe a rock solo and I'm having some trouble deciding. I listento so much blues these days that my mind is a little swept. I was thinking maybe a rock veture by Bloomfield or peter green, and I haven't yet ruled out something by chuck berry or elvis in the 50s.then there's zep and Hendrix etc. I want something that walks that line between blues and rock. What's your input?

twitter

My picks would be:

Jimi "Red House"

SRV "Couldn't Stand The Weather"

ZZ Top Really any of BG's solos are Bad A$$ IMHO but maybe
"Blue Jean Blues" or "Cheap Sunglasses"

Jimmy Page I really like "Achilles Last Stand" and "Since I've been Loving You"

KSKONDOR

I always think of Sunshine of your Love or Crossroads when I think blues Rock. There are a ton of them...as mentioned above ZZ Top is Cool you could even go southrn rock like the Allmans, or Lynard Skynard.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
If I`m not mistaken Eric Claptons solo on a particular Cream song from the Disraeli Gears record is a note for note solo by Albert King ( Cross Cut Saw or Born Under a Bad Sign) Can`t remember which Cream tune it was. Somebody else chime in on this one!

Polynitro

If I`m not mistaken Eric Claptons solo on a particular Cream song from the Disraeli Gears record is a note for note solo by Albert King ( Cross Cut Saw or Born Under a Bad Sign) Can`t remember which Cream tune it was. Somebody else chime in on this one!
yup Strange Brew...Note for note Cross Cut Saw. The entire song is lifted save for lyrics.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Something by Pink Floyd David Gilmour Maybe the solo in Money, not real long, recognizable, blues based, and cool. If you want to stretch out get a live version.

m75bluesbird

That's the one. EC's Strange Brew solo is Albert's Cross Cut Saw break just about note for note. I was floored the first time I heard Albert play it, after hearing it on Cream records for lo these many years, and realizing that it was Albert's invention. I still like Clapton though.

thesweetness

Silver Supporting Member
My picks would be:

Jimi "Red House"

SRV "Couldn't Stand The Weather"

ZZ Top Really any of BG's solos are Bad A$$ IMHO but maybe
"Blue Jean Blues" or "Cheap Sunglasses"

Jimmy Page I really like "Achilles Last Stand" and "Since I've been Loving You"

Wouldn't you consider red house a blues? Not rock

Thanks for all the responces guys, keep them coming.

twitter

Well yes sorta. First of all, I think all of my picks with the exception of maybe "Achilles Last Stand" are HEAVILY steeped in the Blues. Your original post asked for "something that walks that line between blues and rock", so I tried to think of songs that really encompassed elements of both. In my opinion one of the things that helped elevate Hendrix to supreme guitar god ruler status was that he never really played anything "straight". His genius was that he would put together elements that already existed in a new and face melting way. I think Red House is predominantly straight 12-bar blues but the solo (which is what your after) has a decidely psychdelic rock bluesy feel to my ear like Muddy Waters on an acid trip. I thought those songs would be a good transition from the Blues to Rock but they might be a little more Blues than you're looking for. Sorry I tend to be a Blues FREAK. Still a crazy friggin awseome solo if you don't already know it.

bynt

Can't go wrong with Peter Green!!!

Another plus for Gilmor but I was thinking more along the lines of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond". It's really pretty easy to play but good god it still gives me chills to this very day.

dantedayjob

Anything Uli Roth did in The Scorpions (albums: Fly To The Rainbow, In Trance, Virgin Killer, Taken By Force, Tokyo Tapes)

groove_king

Quote:
Originally Posted by jads57

That's the one. EC's Strange Brew solo is Albert's Cross Cut Saw break just about note for note. I was floored the first time I heard Albert play it, after hearing it on Cream records for lo these many years, and realizing that it was Albert's invention. I still like Clapton though.
Close. EC's Strange Brew solo is a note-for-note copy of Albert's Oh, Pretty Woman solo.

MartinC

Another Brick in the Wall - Dave Gilmour - A master of bluesy solos in a rock context.

Trending Topics