Recommend a small bass combo

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by redragon, May 10, 2015.

1. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Looking for a small bedroom bass combo strictly for practicing and home recording.

Size is key, small is better, cost not too much of an issue within reasonable limits. I guess an 8 or 10" speaker.

2. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Fender Bronco 40 if you can find one.

3. royd

royd Member

Carvin MB10... or if you can find one a Genz Benz shuttle 3.0 8T (or 10T)

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

Hartke KickBack KB12. And you can use if for rehearsals and small gigs too.

The Carvin stuff is more then adequate as well. MB10 combo. Same as others, will also do small gigs and rehearsals.

For around $600 you can get the Ampeg MicroVR stack, which does an amazing job emulating its big brother the AMPEG SVT.

5. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

GK microbass if you really want a combo. Otherwise there are plenty of options if you go the class D head plus small cab route.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

What's your budget? I have a Gallien-Krueger MB200 to a GenzBenz STL-8 cab, tiny and light at 13 lbs. GREAT sound, and I have used it for concert gigs (mic'd to the FOH). That little rig was over $600.

For your purposes I'd recommend an Ampeg BA112 (used), BA110, or BA108. Low power, light weight, really good tone.

7. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

I've been using an Ampeg BA-108 for home practice and it's even loud enough for band practice (with acoustic drum kit). I'd call it nearly perfect for bedroom use.

8. crackbass

crackbass Member

Fender Rumble 40. Amazingly light and nice sounding.

zacmac likes this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

10. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Opinions on how these sound with guitar? Clean tone only is fine.

My 'upstairs' practice amp is an old MicroCube. The little speaker is farty with heavier gauge flatwounds on a hollowbody guitar.

I've thought about replacing the MicroCube with a small bass combo since my only bass amp is in the basement and I'd like a small practice amp that works with both guitar and bass.

11. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I've only tried guitar through the Bronco 40 a couple of times, but i didn't like it. Too muddy and "dull", for lack of a better word.
    Admittedly, i didn't spend a lot of time trying to tweak the settings on the amp, so YMMV...

12. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

I have a fender r.a.d. bass amp that was a gift from my parents in the early 90's. They're usa made and sound incredibly articulate. I'm not sure how hard they are to find since they only made them for a couple years. Depending on how heavy handed your drummer is its suitable for practising as well.

13. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I just picked up a Markbass Mini CMD-121P. Very small, 12" speaker and bone-rattling, earth-shaking crystal clean, warm bass glory!

14. crackbass

crackbass Member

I never got to try the Rumble with guitar. A bass player friend of mine did a gig with me with one. I was pretty impressed with the amount of sound coming out of that little combo, and it weighs almost nothing. And it's fairly cheap. Around $200 for a practice amp that will serve as a viable practice/small gig amp (good xlr di). It would probably be OK to just make noise with guitar, but if it were me, I'd keep the microcube for guitar.

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

go for the BA-110 and you've also got a great gigging amp

16. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Looked at a LOT of YouTube demos based on this thread. Agree that the Markbass stuff is superior.

Also, came across the Ibanez Promethean which looks terrific and has the advantage of a removable head.

17. dconeill

dconeill Member

I bought an Acoustic B20 for about $150 for my son's use, works pretty well as a practice amp

18. padavis

padavis Member

You know something that has worked for me to get a small setup? I took a Grund 12in monitor and threw in a Delta 12LFA speaker and took out the pole mount piece to add an extra vent hole and its very very very very nice. Shockingly nice. I us a cheap Ampeg B2RE as a power amp with it and I get plenty of lows with a standard pbass and if I just bump in the horn a touch, it adds a nice little sizzle and presence. I really liked the GK MBS150III I had too. They can be found cheap and they are SUPER mobile. Their quality beats their volume limitations too.

19. royd

royd Member

I saw that today someone (not me and I have no connections or knowledge beyond the listing) has a Genz Benz shuttle 3.0-8T up for auction.

That makes a great practice rig and actually sounds like a real bass amp. It is more than enough for small coffeeshop type gigs and weighs a total of something like 13 pounds. It is also a killer acoustic guitar amp. Take the head (175 watts into 8 ohms and 300 into 4) out and plug it into a 4ohm cab that is reasonably efficient and you have a great rig for concerts.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  20. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Markbass Players School Combo. No brainer.