Recommend a soundbar...

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by drfrankencopter, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM.

1. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'm doing some renos to my TV room that will necessitate me dumping my tower speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7v4 tower's) in favour of a soundbar (and possibly sub). I was wondering what recommendation TGP might have. I realize that I won't have the same sound quality as my previous system, but I'm hoping to still have something that is reasonably decent for stereo music playback. Surround sound is not terribly important to me...

Any recommendations? Let's keep it under $1k (ideally). Will need to integrate with Apple devices (Air Play, Apple TV, etc).

Thanks

2. captwillard

captwillard Member

Bose and Sonos are two brands i'd look at.

3. bpayne82

bpayne82 Member

Cant recommend Klipsch highly enough. Better bang for your buck than Bose and sounds better as well.

4. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

Can you do Left/Right/Center in-wall speakers? Might be worth checking out depending on who is doing the renovation.

5. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

A good soundbar can sound terrific in the right-sized room. I'd get an accurate measurement and have it handy as I shopped.

I think high-end subs "cost more than most people can hear". Most folks would prefer to have a decent sub, even with a great soundbar, but you can trim a few bucks going with a mid-fi sub, or even a DIY along with a higher-end soundbar.

I recently helped a buddy build an accurate sub that goes well into the 30's at respectable volumes with these components:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265hf-4-10-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-460

https://www.parts-express.com/bash-300s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-300w-rms--300-750

About $300 and another $30 to build a vented cab. We painted it with the same paint he has on his walls, so that sub disappears. Very cool for movies.

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I bought one of these and am totally blown away by the big sound it puts out for it's compact size. I tested it against a bunch of competitors and the store.

7. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

I've been using sonos playbar, sub and two play one's for my home entertainment surround. A couple of play 5's in stereo at the dining area.

I've had it since 2014. No complaints here. Great product and value for the money. The hardware is future proof with just the software updates.

Highly recommended.

8. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

my house is successfully using a Nakamichi in the bedroom and a little JBL in the kitchen. The Samsung used there totally died after a very short while. I really like the BluTooth connectivity of the Nak for background music as well.

best of luck !