Recommend a student viola?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jallen, Feb 3, 2015.

1. jallen

jallen Supporting Member

Ok, so I'm outta my depth here. I'm looking for recommendations for a viola for my kid. He's just starting, so I don't want to spend much; if he sticks with I'll go all in, but there's just a as good chance I will be selling this or donating it to the school. If he plays guitar I'd know just what to look for, but can anyone school me on what to look for in student violas? 16" rental right now, but the buy out more that be expensive (it's a Glaesel). Thanks!

2. Seorie

Seorie Member

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

How old?

If he's little, they won't recommend a full size and there's no point in buying a 1/2 or 3/4 viola that he will outgrow in the year, unless you want to make this about charity.

My 3rd grader has a rental violin. It's good enough and inexpensive, especially considering how much she practices. If I wanted to invest anything additional, I'd get a proper setup and lower the action. The bridges are 2x the height they need be on these off-the-rack instruments.

4. jallen

jallen Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Today he decided that he wants to switch to drums. Because of course he did... Wonder how long that will last.