Recommend a tele

cantstoplt021

I eventually (not now, but soon) want to get a telecaster. I want something that I can use for jazz along with other styles. Also I would really love it if it had the feel and shape of my John Mayer signature stratocaster. I absolutely love that neck. Any suggestions?

I'd obviously prefer not to spend a bunch of money on it, but then again better to pay more now than have to buy another one down the road

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member
How about the Fender Baja Tele? Custom shop designed and very affordable.
Twisted Tele neck pickup is reminiscent of a Strat neck pup.
Once you go Tele it's hard going back. ;-)

guitarnut_1

If you want a quality instrument I'd recommend either Grosh or Suhr. Fender is ok too... but I personally would prefer the aforementioned builders.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Teles work great for jazz. The Baja has a great fat neck but the body doesn't have the belly and forearm cuts like a Strat. There are many Teles that do have them but they may not have the neck shape that you prefer. But you can always choose your Tele neck and body and just put them together!

Last edited:

cantstoplt021

I can't really afford a suhr or grosh. Probably only an American fender. Id like a good jazz tone and if I could get the exact neck that's on my John Mayer strat it would be perfect

nickthenail

Why not get the dimensions of the Mayer neck and see if you can find one through Warmoth or the array of parts suppliers out there. If you build your own, you'll get exactly what you want.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
If you describe your JM strat neck shape you will probably get some suggestions of Teles that have a similar shape.

cantstoplt021

Here are the specifications I could find. They're not making the guitar anymore so I can't get exact specs on fenders site.

Neck wood: Maple
Neck shape: Slightly bigger "C"-shape, satin urethane on neck with buffed headstock and vintage '50s decal

Fingerboard: African rosewood fingerboard, 9-1/2" radius

No. of frets: 21 Dunlop 6105 frets

Isn't building your own guitar more expensive? Or am I wrong?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Here are the specifications I could find. They're not making the guitar anymore so I can't get exact specs on fenders site.

Neck wood: Maple
Neck shape: Slightly bigger "C"-shape, satin urethane on neck with buffed headstock and vintage '50s decal

Fingerboard: African rosewood fingerboard, 9-1/2" radius

No. of frets: 21 Dunlop 6105 frets

Isn't building your own guitar more expensive? Or am I wrong?
Not necessarily. You can find complete Fender (or other brands) Tele bodies that have belly and armrest cuts like a strat and also Tele necks with a 9-1/2 radius rosewood fretboard with jumbo frets on eBay. A "slightly bigger C shape" rosewood fretboard Tele neck may be a little hard to find.

I don't think you're going to find a Fender Tele model guitar that has both the belly and armrest cuts and a neck the specs and shape of the John Mayer neck.

Last edited:

cantstoplt021

I should add that I would prefer a maple neck, mostly for aesthetic reasons though. I love blonde telecasters with maple necks.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
As suggested in an earlier post, the Baja Tele has a great fat neck with jumbo frets. It's has more of a V to a U shape instead of a C shape though.

Last edited:

filtersweep

Not necessarily. Some folks abandon their projects and unload on ebay etc. There are deals to be had.
I have purchased two partscasters. One is the best Strat I've ever owned. The other- the worst Tele. Not everyone knows what they are doing. If the bridge is drilled in the wrong place, it will be a mess. If the neck was never properly finished, etc. I suggest never buying a parts guitar you haven't actually played. I really believe the results can be very random.

stratter

If you trust yourself, order parts from Warmoth and put them together yourself, or have a great tech do it. Their parts are first rate.

nickthenail

I have purchased two partscasters. One is the best Strat I've ever owned. The other- the worst Tele. Not everyone knows what they are doing. If the bridge is drilled in the wrong place, it will be a mess. If the neck was never properly finished, etc. I suggest never buying a parts guitar you haven't actually played. I really believe the results can be very random.
I'm not recommending purchasing a finished partscaster. I am suggesting, if price is a concern, to shop around the used market for parts.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Others have mentioned it, but I'd agree that the Baja Tele represents probably the best price to quality value in (at least Fender) Telecasters. A budget minded guitarist who still wants quality would be very happy with a Baja Tele. And if he were to book end that with a Classic Player 60s Strat, he's all set.

cantstoplt021

The baja tele looks good only problem could be the neck shape. I'm not sure what a U shape feels like, but if it's the big clunky neck that I've played on some fenders than no thanks

Drewboy

Long time strat player here. I bought a 60's baja Friday. The neck is a little slimmer than the first run bajas. I really like it. Had trouble finding a tele neck I liked and this one is great for me. Cool guitar so far.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Not necessarily. Some folks abandon their projects and unload on ebay etc. There are deals to be had.
Totally true. I just finished a Tele with really nice, quality parts/pickups/hardware for around $450. Turned out awesome and it was fun chasing all the parts and then putting them together.